Disaster struck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whelp I got my brand new 29 gallon FW tank set up on Saturday July 16th I had bought the Bio Spira and a couple fish. It looked great and guess what. I went to the mall on Sunday to a phone call from my husband, :cry: :cry: the bottom of the tank cracked and water gushed everywhere. All 29 gallon all over our hard wood floors in our living room, out through our kitchen, down through the basement, It ruined SO FAR 12 celing tiles in our basement and who knows what else will be ruined once everything dries. My husband did save the fish but now my 20 gallon tank is WAY over stocked, and I did lose one fish and it looks like another one isnt doing very well. I tried to find homes for some of them and nobody will take them. I tried the LFS and friends that I knew that had a tank.

I took back :( the aquarium kit that I had which was a 29 gallon Marineland aquarium kit, and they did give me all my money back which I am surprised, but now I have to use that money to buy new celing tiles in our basement cause we have a drop ceiling down there.

I am so discussed. :cry: And now that this happend my hubby told me that I am no longer aloud to have an aquarium upstairs here. My heart sank cause I love my fish. I do have a picture of the tank from yesterday morning before I left for the mall, I'm going to try and post it. My hubby build the stand that it is on.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. I cant leave all these fish in my 20 gallon, but I need the money from taking back the 29 to fix the tiles. We have no idea why it cracked, It cracked from one side the whole way to the other side in 2 different cracks. I have pics of that to will have to post one or two.

Well got to go thanks for reading. Hope you all are having better luck than me.

Attachments

• tank_resized.jpg
    tank_resized.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 253
  • tank_resized.jpg
    tank_resized.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 262
A tank shouldn't crack like that. I feel for you. You might try contacting the mfr to see if the warranty will be honored.

I agree...the tank looks like an AGA (All-Glass Aquarium). Contact them immediately.

You may have no choice but to return some of the fish to the LFS. If you purchased the tank from the same location, it would be well worth it.

It is an AGA. I tried to return them to the fish store and they wont take them.
I contacted Marineland this morning, and they got me in touch with Perfecto the manufacture of them aquarium kits, and this lady from there is being really helpful. So we will see what comes out of this.

Thanks everyone

Well here is what we decided to do. Instead of getting another 29 gallon and putting it upstairs here (even though I want one up here) my sister in law has a 55 gallon tank with stand and everything she will sell me for $45.00. We went in and looked at it last night (she doesn't have it set up) and my hubby told me to buy that one and we would put it up downstairs.
So we are going to take what we had for the 29 and what we have in our 20 gallon and put it all in the 55.

wow, that stinks. waterdamage can be really expensive too. Hopefully either the manufacturer will cover it or maybe your insurance company?

Thats why I have 250,000 in renters insurance. If any of my tanks went, I dont even want to think about it.......

definitely push for insurance from the tank manufacturer for the damage to your house. I would think they would have a claims dept just in case something like this happens. Or at the very least, see if they would cover your deductible on your insurance, you would still probably see a premium increase next year but most likely cheaper than the repair costs will be. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom