Discus and ph adaptation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have read a million things regarding how farm raised discus are tolerant of higher ph and don't need the text book 6.0 etc. Well, my tap water comes out at 8.0... Yes, 8.0... Calibrated meter and all. After it sits for a day it will go down to 7.7 or so but it isn't going any lower than that even when I do a 50/50 ro water mix. For this fact I have been mixing my water from scratch (for over a year now) using RO water, precise measurement of calcium, magnesium, discus trace, and flourish. Yes, it is a pain and yes, I have successfully done this for over a year but geesh, I WANT an easier solution IF a discus IS capable of adjusting to a ph as high as 8???? Haha.. Anyone experienced with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have no idea... I think it would be fun to raise discuss but the maintenance scares me a bit. I have pH 8.0 tap water as well, but it works for my Africans

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you asked your lfs of they have the pH adjusted for discus? Usually, If you share the same water source, it'll all be close to the same level of natural pH. I don't have experience with them, bit I've heard of a drip acclimation that can take a few to several days to adjust the discus to the pH of your tank. Hopefully someone will come along and have more info.

Your Fish and Water pH

Hello Jack...

Most of the fish you get at the local pet stores will adapt to the majority of public tap water supplies. The pH is typically between 6 and 8. Discus like their water a bit more acidic. So if you have basic water, with a pH above 7, then look into using peat to lower the pH a bit. Driftwood added will also help.

My take is, the fish will adapt to the current tap water chemistry and you won't have to jump through any hoops to change your tank water. That doesn't turn out well for the fish.

Just keep the water pure with lots of water changes.

B

Hello Jack...

Most of the fish you get at the local pet stores will adapt to the majority of public tap water supplies. The pH is typically between 6 and 8. Discus like their water a bit more acidic. So if you have basic water, with a pH above 7, then look into using peat to lower the pH a bit. Driftwood added will also help.

My take is, the fish will adapt to the current tap water chemistry and you won't have to jump through any hoops to change your tank water. That doesn't turn out well for the fish.

Just keep the water pure with lots of water changes.

B

That is what I was hoping someone would reply with.. If the OP can fix the pH naturally and without chemicals, otherwise just leave it alone because stability is more important.. :)

I think a lot will depend on the origin of the Discus. If you are getting the tank raised "new" varieties, they will probably adapt to your water much more easily than wild ones will. We imported wild Discus into S. Florida's hard, high PH water and never had any real success with them until we softened the water and lowered the PH to match what they were coming from. Conversely, we used to get locally tank raised babies that did just fine with a standard slow acclimation. My partner, before we went into biz together, was also a Discus breeder and he too had problems with just keeping wild ones until he altered his water yet no problems with tank raised.
So depending on what fish you are reading " the standards" for will determine what you should be doing. If you are getting fish from a local shop that uses local water and the fish all look healthy and fine, then the "standards" are whatever they are being kept in at that time. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom