Discus and Pistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My remarks are out of concern for the fish and your enjoyment of them.
They are more fun the longer they last...
You chose some pretty sensitive/difficult fish for an average keeper to keep.
I do not think you are average I think you are above that,but even with skill and knowledge nature still has input.
I apologize if I inferred you do not do good research,you possibly have done great?
But in the effort of doing better all the way around why not ask in a place like here BEFORE the order or purchase as part of your research.
If all the info needed was clearly spelled out I would not be here!
I come for advice from experienced keepers.
You and your fish may benefit also?
About your list for future tanks....WANT TO SHARE BEFORE YOU DO THEM?
They are your tanks and you can and will do what you want,most here just want to help,kind of hard 'after the fact'...know what I mean.
Thumbs for Brook.
Dig you looking out for my hobbies future!

No...you're throwing everything that fits into a single tank. That's greedy. When I want a new fish I either set up a new tank or don't get it. Simple really. You may research but you don't learn, reading and absorbing words are 2 different things. Make a decision or set up a couple more tanks man.. you clearly love the hobby? Make it official!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And I'm setting up a new tank, I have $70 set aside for the pistos, once I reach $100 I'm ordering a sponge filter, substrate, a heater, a light, driftwood, etc. I read it and obtain the knowledge, I read it and hold onto it (not like civics where I read it and forget it). And how bout this, I'll finish setting up the tanks I have now and than I'll get two final tanks, a 10g pea puffer tank, and a 6g shrimp tank that I've been planning a while, and that's it, no new tanks and I'll do my best with the fish I have and I won't breed bettas like I planned, I'll just stick to peacock cichlids, rams, discus, and shrimp. All read up much more, make better decisions and do my best with the fish I have...one final condition can you guys take it a little easier on telling me your opinions on the crayfish and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My remarks are out of concern for the fish and your enjoyment of them.
They are more fun the longer they last...
You chose some pretty sensitive/difficult fish for an average keeper to keep.
I do not think you are average I think you are above that,but even with skill and knowledge nature still has input.
I apologize if I inferred you do not do good research,you possibly have done great?
But in the effort of doing better all the way around why not ask in a place like here BEFORE the order or purchase as part of your research.
If all the info needed was clearly spelled out I would not be here!
I come for advice from experienced keepers.
You and your fish may benefit also?
About your list for future tanks....WANT TO SHARE BEFORE YOU DO THEM?
They are your tanks and you can and will do what you want,most here just want to help,kind of hard 'after the fact'...know what I mean.
Thumbs for Brook.
Dig you looking out for my hobbies future!

Okay, thank you. I'll do that. Here are the future tanks
55g planted discus tank
55g planted discus tank
40g peacock cichlid tank
20g discus breeding tank
10g fry tank x4
10g pisto tank
10g pisto tank
10g pea puffer tank
6g shrimp tank

It's a public forum, I'm going to give you my opinion, if you don't want it you may place me on the ignore list, but I'll always provide my true opinion when you do right and wrong. I'm here to help, I wouldn't be if not for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And not everything you read is accurate, it appears your sources aren't the best.

I mainly go read other forum pages, go to seriouslyfish.com, and read articles dedicated to one species of fish.

It's a public forum, I'm going to give you my opinion, if you don't want it you may place me on the ignore list, but I'll always provide my true opinion when you do right and wrong. I'm here to help, I wouldn't be if not for that.

I meant can you just say it a little easier. I understand you giving opinion I'm fine with that.

Coralbandit, I can also provide you with all the sticking lists for those tanks if you would like me to

Coralbandit, I can also provide you with all the sticking lists for those tanks if you would like me to

This would be wonderful,but it is not for me!
I want to help you ,but part of the best research is going to be to hear from many people not just one(even me)!
Personal experiences of just one good keeper is worth more then any generic write up by ???
I am sure there are many here who would like to see the list and have input that could help you.
I will admit we may be being a little rough on you ,but I think others wish they could garner such attention and information with their tanks also???:whistle:

This would be wonderful,but it is not for me!
I want to help you ,but part of the best research is going to be to hear from many people not just one(even me)!
Personal experiences of just one good keeper is worth more then any generic write up by ???
I am sure there are many here who would like to see the list and have input that could help you.
I will admit we may be being a little rough on you ,but I think others wish they could garner such attention and information with their tanks also???:whistle:

Okay that would be great, thank you. Maybe...

Here are stocking lists

55 gallon discus tank #1:
Pigeon blood discus x1
Red Snakeskin discus x1
Marlboro Red discus x1
Blue Diamond discus x1
Oto x6
Twig Cat x1
Betta x1
Cardinal Tetras x10
Various plants
Mexican Dwarf crayfish x1
Amano shrimp - I don't know how many yet
Vampire shrimp x1
Bamboo shrimp x4
Nerite Snails
Some other snails

55 gallon discus tank #2:
Eruption Leopard Snakeskin discus x1
Ring Golden Leopard discus x1
Dark Angel discus x1
Yellow Checkerboard discus x1
Snow White discus x1
Oto x6
Twig Cat x1
Betta x1
Ember Tetra x10
Various plants
Mexican Dwarf crayfish x1
Amano shrimp - I don't know how many yet
Vampire shrimp x1
Bamboo shrimp x4
Nerite Snails
Some other snails

40 gallon cichlid tank:
German Red Peacock cichlid x6
Yellow lab cichlid x4
5-barred cichlid x1
One Spot Domino Syno cat x1
Ropefish x1
Common Pleco x1

10 gallon Pisto tank #1:
Pair of Apistogramma trifasciata
Nerite Snails
Various plants

10 gallon Pisto tank #2:
Pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'Orange Flash'
Nerite Snails
Various plants

10 gallon Puffer tank:
Pea puffers x2
Oto x4 (will see how the puffers react to them)
Various plants

6 gallon shrimp tank:
Various shrimp species
Various plants

Each 55 has way too much going on, the 40 is pushing it, especially with the ropefish, each 10 gallon sounds well planned.

Each 55 has way too much going on, the 40 is pushing it, especially with the ropefish, each 10 gallon sounds well planned.

I'll sell the rope when it gets larger he's still under a foot now. What do you suggest I take out of the 55s other than discus

Tank#1 I would remove
Twig cat,betta,crayfish and all shrimp
Tank#2
Twig cat,betta, crayfish and all shrimp.

Perhaps the amano shrimp will be cool but I'd remove all others.

Tank#1 I would remove
Twig cat,betta,crayfish and all shrimp
Tank#2
Twig cat,betta, crayfish and all shrimp.

Perhaps the amano shrimp will be cool but I'd remove all others.

Those larger shrimp would be fine with the discus wouldn't they? And I'm guessing the twig cat because of waste amount

The issue would be fry/eggs with the shrimp. Betta for the aggression potential, as well as being unnecessary. Twig cat for the waste/being unnecessary. Bamboo shrimp are not predatory and may be the exception here possibly even preferable to amanos.

The big picture is that if breeding discus is your end game then they should be housed solely, possibly not even with dithers which could nip at eggs. Though I wouldn't flame you for a group of schoolers, crayfish or catfish with discus on the other hand is asking for trouble.

If you're into inverts I would do it in a separate tank.

I'm just trying to have a good cleanup. The amano shrimp and snails will eat the algae while the bamboo shrimp and vampire shrimp will siphon the water.

The issue would be fry/eggs with the shrimp. Betta for the aggression potential, as well as being unnecessary. Twig cat for the waste/being unnecessary. Bamboo shrimp are not predatory and may be the exception here possibly even preferable to amanos.

The big picture is that if breeding discus is your end game then they should be housed solely, possibly not even with dithers which could nip at eggs. Though I wouldn't flame you for a group of schoolers, crayfish or catfish with discus on the other hand is asking for trouble.

True which is why I would set up a seperate breeding tank. But I can see where you are coming from. I will cut out all the shrimp and fish except for the schoolers, bamboo, and amano how but that.

Not trying to be against it in any way but I would love to keep my betta that is already with the discus since he is stunning and really quite peaceful, he won't even flare or run from a mirror.

Well a good betta setup can made in a 5 gallon, as for a clean up crew it's a myth. Totally unnecessary in freshwater provided appropriate water changes, not even necessary in sw. I understand your logic but the excess bioload will be more harmful than good in a discus setup.

Edit to add: the betta alone isn't a deal breaker, it's all of the initial stock combined that forms trouble.

Back
Top Bottom