Discus & Angelfish setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I currently have a 77 Gal aquarium I'm looking to set up, and I'd like to try something new. I've never kept discus, and only a few strains of angels, and these guys look like they'd make great centerpiece fish.

I'll admit I'm incredibly rusty, haveing been on hiatus from the fish world the last couple years, so I'm looking to confirm a couple things I'm pretty sure I already know...

Is this tank big enough for a small group of each, say six each plus a large school of cardinals? If it is, then is this even a good idea? I know they require the same conditions, but behaviorally would it be a good mix?

I've seen it done many, many times, but I figure I better check in just to be sure I haven't forgotten anything important.

Angelfish eat way too fast an to much and discus are the complete opposite

Angelfish and discus are not recommended to be kept together. As mentioned the angelfish are much more aggressive eaters. And as they mature toward breeding age, there will be agression between the angels and discus.

I guess what I've seen might just be irresponsible fish keeping?

Okay, well I suppose I should pick one or the other then...

Discus all the way. If you'll buy the rare angels it might equal with the discus :)

Back
Top Bottom