Discus Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huoyuanjia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I'm interested in buying my very first Discus(well a few actually), I've been told by a friend that normally a discus that has patterns without the black stripes shouldn't have those stripes normally, that this is possibly an indication of stress? Is this true?

Yes black stripes are an indication of stress. Even having a light colored backing on the tank can or very bright lighting can invoke a stress re-action as the fish feel threatened.

Most juvenile discus have those bars and will grow out of them! Bars to can be a sign of stress or illness, however that's not the only reason the can have them like I said before most juvies has them, fighting between tank mates discus establishing dominance water temp. Anything. If they appear healthy and are you that's probably why those bars are there. I'll post of my very healthy have juvi blue turquoise [IMG_2452.jpgxIMG_2942.jpg]302674[/ATTACH]
Also have a few more juvi with bars! I'm not the least worried unless they are sicky

Back
Top Bottom