Discus breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here they are! Soooo excited, already drilled, power built into every rack, 75 gallons each. Lighting built in as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429499079665.jpg
    1429499079665.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1429499098177.jpg
    1429499098177.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 51
  • 1429499113342.jpg
    1429499113342.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 1429499129683.jpg
    1429499129683.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 49
Pidgeon bloods and red turquoise I believe. Not so good at distinguishing varieties. The variety shouldn't matter for the results (and if it does... well, hopefully we'll find out)

We got around 30 and despite treating for all kinds of disease, every other day to daily water changes with warm pre-mixed water (kh around 20 ppm, gh around 100ppm), giving them quality flake and frozen food, we lost all but 3 and just got 2 more today....

Want to get it right for the next group of fish we get.

Just a thought here, Since both varieties you are dealing with are man made variations, why not compare the slime coats of wild Discus to these man made ones? Maybe there is a difference in what they are passing on with the slime coat? Now that we have so many ways of recreating the natural water conditions of wild Discus, breeding them has become much easier than when I was doing it back in the 80s. I got them to breed but didn't have much success raising the fry. Jack Whattley was a regular supplier to the store I was working in at the time but he hadn't fully developed his special "fry food" yet so his methods were still "secret" so no help there. :( lol I haven't been involved with Discus in over 15 years now so none of these new types were even around back then but I would think it would be interesting to know if the new fish secreted the same materials that the wild fish do and if not, what proteins or materials are different and so, is it the food or other means causing the change.

Just my 2 cents. ;)(y)

That light is designed to grow corals.. my previous assumption stands;) led yayyyy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. I trust everyones opinion on the light. Ill sell it and get led's. So the one im looking at is a 48" finnex ray 2 or planted plus. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Just a thought here, Since both varieties you are dealing with are man made variations, why not compare the slime coats of wild Discus to these man made ones? Maybe there is a difference in what they are passing on with the slime coat? Now that we have so many ways of recreating the natural water conditions of wild Discus, breeding them has become much easier than when I was doing it back in the 80s. I got them to breed but didn't have much success raising the fry. Jack Whattley was a regular supplier to the store I was working in at the time but he hadn't fully developed his special "fry food" yet so his methods were still "secret" so no help there. :( lol I haven't been involved with Discus in over 15 years now so none of these new types were even around back then but I would think it would be interesting to know if the new fish secreted the same materials that the wild fish do and if not, what proteins or materials are different and so, is it the food or other means causing the change.

Just my 2 cents. ;)(y)

This is a fantastic idea and was actually going to be one of the next "steps" in our research! We've got about 2 years till I graduate, and I may be going to graduate school at this same university, so we may take this topic and run as far as we can with it. The thing is that wild discus are just a whole hell of a lot more expensive, and we at the very least need to establish some baselines for captive-bred fish. Once we do that we may try and obtain some wild-caught discus. A bit of research has already been done to compare the two- if anyone is interested I can link the research that has been published about it.

This is a fantastic idea and was actually going to be one of the next "steps" in our research! We've got about 2 years till I graduate, and I may be going to graduate school at this same university, so we may take this topic and run as far as we can with it. The thing is that wild discus are just a whole hell of a lot more expensive, and we at the very least need to establish some baselines for captive-bred fish. Once we do that we may try and obtain some wild-caught discus. A bit of research has already been done to compare the two- if anyone is interested I can link the research that has been published about it.

I, for one, would definitely like to read it. More for the curiosity of how wild vs domesticated fish are different ( or the same) (y)

Here's the paper, it's one of my many, many references for this first bit of research.

Attachments

• Biparental Mucus Feeding.pdf
    199.7 KB · Views: 47
There's a paper comparing their genetics floating around in the literature but I don't think they found anything significant weirdly enough.

Here's the paper, it's one of my many, many references for this first bit of research.

Just downloaded and glanced at the research.... looks like an awsome read. Cant wait to sit down with this.

Talking about the light on the first page lol didn't realize it was 6 pages long

Back
Top Bottom