Discus Buffer and Neutral Regulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh wow. I put this into my RO water I was making for my tank and my RO water reads over 10 ppm in phosphates now. I'm assuming this is BAD for the planted aquarium? ugh, this hobby has a LOT of trial and error :)

Would this stuff affect my potassium levels too?

Well, no. Potassium is stable so it didn't affect it. Word of warning to anyone wanting to use Discus Buffer with a planted tank... Don't.

Did you just reply to your own post?

RODI water should read 0 ppm of everything. Is it registering 10 ppm after adding a buffer? How did you measure your phosphate?

haha, yes I did reply to my own post. Sorry, I could've just pulled the thread since I concluded my own answer I guess but I thought it might help someone else to stay away from the discus buffer if they had a planted tank and didn't realize how potent the phosphates were in it.

I tested the phosphates with 2 tests. An API liquid test showed the extremely high levels of 10ppm (as high as their test reads... dark dark blue)

I had to dump 40 gallons of my premade RO water because of it. I'm starting a new trash can of RO water... Now with straight RO water I'm reading 0 ppm. I'm glad I checked before I continued to dump in my tank because I honestly thought it didn't affect it and I bought the HUGE container of the discus buffer thinking this was the solve all to my discus prep... I only adjusted the water from 7.0 to 6.8 and that 0.2 in PH really just made my phosphate levels unusable so I will leave the RO water alone in the future and drop the ph with the CO2 I'm pumping in the .01 I need to go... Oh well, live and learn, a week of running my little RO unit will get me back to where I was with another 40 gallons of good RO water.

Back
Top Bottom