Discus disease + medication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am soon to be starting a discus tank once my water levels are all perfect but I don't want to rush anything and take any risks.

I just wanted to know EVERY type of medication I will need for the future.
Because I don't live where there are alot of aquariums and stuff, and I recently got a card where I can shop online I wanted to get everything so that if I did get a sick discus I wouldn't have to wait two weeks for the medication to arrive... Get it? Lol

Also what is the absolute BEST food for growth and health?

My discus have never had anything so idk about that, but this is what I feed:
Morning- omega 1 flakes, hikari discus
Evening- hikari gold mini cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp.
Treat(rare)- frozen beefheart

The only medications I keep on hand at all times is Jungle Fungus Clear, Parasite Clear, and Metro+ this lets me address everything from bactiera infections, different types of fungus, and internal and external parasites. They are cheap and readily available with a decent shelf life. Besides that good old aquarium salt for treating ich. I've yet to run into anything in 25+ years of fishkeeping the main ingredients of these could not address.

In terms of food most would agree on New Life Spectrum is the best option for nutrition. Some people talk about beef heart and bloodworms but when Jack Watley who's is basically the king of discus breeding states that he now feeds a staple of pellets or high quality flakes and this more than enough to keep discus thriving is good testimonial for me. After years of recommending bloodworms and such there has been enough research that commercial prepared foods far exceed nutritional requirements of fish, unlike years ago where this was not a good option.

Well since your in Aus you don't have as many options. I would keep Avitrol bird wormer tablets on hand to treat intestinal parasites. It contains Levamisole and Praziquantel. Salt, hydrogen peroxide and Epsom salt are also good to have IMO. Tetracycline is available to buy online but all other antibiotics must be prescribed by a vet. Tri sulfa and methane blue might be good to have on hand also.

Last edited:
I was thinking of having a mostly beefheart diet because apparently it's good for growth.
Also I might get into breeding so would that change anything? :S

I was thinking of having a mostly beefheart diet because apparently it's good for growth.
Also I might get into breeding so would that change anything? :S

The most important fact is that fish digestive systems are designed to handle certain proteins. Freshwater/Marine proteins and fats are very different than their mammal counterparts. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately. The primarily function of breaking down food is a provide energy, that which can't be processed generates a lot of waste since they're expelling what can't be used to benefit the fishes body. Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality. The last issue I have is the fish's kidneys and liver work harder than they would have trying to process foods they are not designed to digest, where as long term feeding can lead to liver or kidney failure. So not to ramble on any longer I can't see any benefits to feeding beefheart when there so many healthier options.

You definitely need to include a high quality pellet in there. Also I hate tetracycline, it screwed up my tank hardcore.

Ok so iv decided what I'm going to do for maximized health.
I'll have a large variety of food available and everyday I'll feed a different type. Maybe not everyday though gaha I might forget some days. I'm thinking of getting an automatic feeder for when I'm at school and I'll feed them in the morning and when I get back and go to sleep haha so 5 times a day. Is that only necessary for juveniles or is it good for all ages? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom