Discus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the market for a discus fish but I'm not totally sure on what kind of discus I want, also my lfs does not have a wide selection, what online sites is trustworthy of buying a fish from? And I understand that these types of fish need live plants but how many plants? Should it be all plants or a few plants?

I keep mine with silk plants and they seem fine.

Discus do NOT need live plants. In many cases, keeping discus is inadvisable to try to do both discus and plants.

As far as online, I'd recommend simplydiscus. You won't find better fish than through a member or sponsor.

JustinKScott said:
Discus do NOT need live plants. In many cases, keeping discus is inadvisable to try to do both discus and plants.

As far as online, I'd recommend simplydiscus. You won't find better fish than through a member or sponsor.

I will have to second this. From what I've heard baby discus will devour all your plants.

I hear a bare tank would suffice for discus.

Bare bottom tank (no gravel) is the preferred discus growth tank. You'll be grateful to have one when you are doing all those water changes per week. ;)

Well ill be getting a large canister filtration hopefully in a few months then ill get my discus but I'm undecided on the filtration brand/ size

Or... you can get some sponge filters & give them water changes several times a week.

This will get you discus faster, and they will grow WAY bigger than otherwise.

I can't do more than two water changes a week do to college and work and some weeks two may be pretty difficult so I would like to do a large canister and a sponge filter just incase the Power goes out I can have the sponge stay on due to a battery powered bubbler and I always do a weekly water change

I can't do more than two water changes a week do to college and work and some weeks two may be pretty difficult so I would like to do a large canister and a sponge filter just incase the Power goes out I can have the sponge stay on due to a battery powered bubbler and I always do a weekly water change

If you can't commit to at LEAST twice a week water changes I'd suggest either under stocking your tank (Say 1 discus for every 15G as opposed to 10G) or getting adult discus :)

The lfs that I go to only sell medium to large discus and I ask them about water changes and they said they do once a month water changes cause the discus hate change in the environment and plus they have large canister filters to keep the water clean and clear, that's why I'm going with a large canister filter, but I would still do weekly water changes

The lfs that I go to only sell medium to large discus and I ask them about water changes and they said they do once a month water changes cause the discus hate change in the environment and plus they have large canister filters to keep the water clean and clear, that's why I'm going with a large canister filter, but I would still do weekly water changes

Woah. Your LFS just gave you terrible advise. Discus above all else LOVE water changes. Many people do 100% water changes. I do 70% twice a week on my planted/adult (75g) tank and 30% daily (pure RO/DI) on my (55g) adult proven pair. If I had any juveniles/fry; it'd be a hell of a lot more than that.

Can you post a picture of what the LFS calls medium-large discus? Since they have given you bad advise already, I'm worried they are calling juvenile discus "large" discus.

I'd recommend you not take my advise or the LFS advise; go read the opinions of the discus expert breeders, like Discus Hans, Stendker, or Jack Wattley. The one thing you'll need when you start taking care of discus above all else is knowledge.

The store is about a 20 min drive but I can tell you the the discus tank that they have has one as large as an adult hand and as small as a child's hand so I mean they have a wide variety of sizes in them and the water is very clean and clear and I'd never said I would do monthly water changes I would still continue to do weekly water changes

Well here I go, jumping out the window...but this is MY experience with MY tank. I have a 75 gal with plants, driftwood, an angel fish, and 7 rummynose tetras. I have 5 discus, do a 50% water change evry week and they do well. They do not grow fast, but they happy (best I can tell) and healthy. I learned from a breeder that multiple heaters at 84 degrees is great. They love it Hot! I have about a 40 mile drive and I use a large Styrofoam cooler to bring them home. Sorry for the ramble, just wanted you to know all the info can get overwhelming so don't be scared to try..Good luck!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130405_211020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130405_211020.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20130405_211048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130405_211048.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 94
What kind of filtration do you have and what temp range can they be in? Will it affect my other fish being super hot

I keep it at 84. Some fish, like the rummynose, cardinal tetras, some Cory cats, rams. But most won't tolerate it you just have to research them. I use two otb filters. Don't remember what kind but they are each large enough for a 75 gal by themselves.

So I'll share my fish and setup too if its helpful.

7x adult discus, neons, and 3x Siamese algae eaters

75g tank, 70% water changes twice weekly with aged tap water.

Fluval G6 canister filter running only biological and mechanical filtration, as chemical will remove my fertilizers.

4x T5HO plant growth bulbs, 8hour photo period, 1 hour siesta at mid-day.

Pressurized CO2, and root medic ferts (twice weekly)

Diet of frozen BLACK worms (not bloodworms), and beef heart.

Twin aqueon pro 250w heaters @ 85F; with O2 pump to offset the heat and CO2.

Attachments

• image-2526222453.jpg
    image-2526222453.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3765877325.jpg
    image-3765877325.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3774519430.jpg
    image-3774519430.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3272691446.jpg
    image-3272691446.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-4103052453.jpg
    image-4103052453.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-604601158.jpg
    image-604601158.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 88
Don't get me wrong, it requires commitment and research. Ihave had tanks all my life and have three now. Cycling, correct water parameters, etc are all must haves but they are after all tropical fish and its not neurosurgery.

JustinKScott said:
So I'll share my fish and setup too if its helpful.

7x adult discus, neons, and 3x Siamese algae eaters

75g tank, 70% water changes twice weekly with aged tap water.

Fluval G6 canister filter running only biological and mechanical filtration, as chemical will remove my fertilizers.

4x T5HO plant growth bulbs, 8hour photo period, 1 hour siesta at mid-day.

Pressurized CO2, and root medic ferts (twice weekly)

Diet of frozen BLACK worms (not bloodworms), and beef heart.

Twin aqueon pro 250w heaters @ 85F; with O2 pump to offset the heat and CO2.
Beautiful fish/pix, nice set up.

I don't have discus, but I've learned a lot about them. When I get a larger tank, I plan to keep them. I have read tons of articles, I've found podcasts on line, and I've talked to other discus keepers, and I gotta tell you, it's really not just another tropical fish. Everything I've read and heard echo the need for large water changes several times a week-some actually do it every day. I don't know how they get away with that and keep the right level if nitrifying bacteria. From what I can tell, discus just require a different set of rules. RO water is used by many as well because of the extreme water parameters that happy/healthy discus require.

I will tell you that when I set up my current tank, I wanted discus. The more I learned, though, the more I realized that 1.) my tank isn't big enough and 2.) I'm not ready for discus.

You seem to be knowledgeable in general freshwater fish keeping, but please don't assume the discus is just another fish. You'll burn tons of money at $60 a pop, if not more on these guys if they're quality fish. Truly, if you can't commit the time recommended, consider something else.

I don't know how they get away with that and keep the right level if nitrifying bacteria. From what I can tell, discus just require a different set of rules. RO water is used by many as well because of the extreme water parameters that happy/healthy discus require.

Discus almost do use a different set of rules. The many many water changes (or DWC implying DAILY water changes) can hurt your bio filter. I know a breeder who teaches not going overboard with DWC. He says multiple changes per day and high percent (90%+) changes everyday leads to a ineffective bio filter and therefore ammonia spikes. He still does teach DWC, just not crazy DWCs.

I think my canister filter always protected my from this bioload issue, because I never could truly do a 100% DWC.

RO is not usually required unless you want to do breeding. Even then many people never need to go RO. I use it for my breeders, because so far they've not been effective at converting eggs to wigglers.

Back
Top Bottom