Discus gill flukes? Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my small discus is acting slightly lethargic and is rubbing his side up against the leaf of my annubias over and over kinda like flicking himself against it is this most likely gill flukes? Please help should I quarantine him I can I have a 20 gallon tank cycled and ready to go for him what types of medication work well with discus? Are gill flukes contagious? I have 6 discus In my 55 gallon

While I don't like treating without knowing the actual illness, the best medication I would recommend for gill flukes is Prazipro by Hikari. I would recommend treating the entire tank since gill flukes are highly contagious.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying none of the other fish are showing any signs and his flicking is very sporadic he doesn't do it often and he's eating and everything I'm not sure anything is wrong at all what's the best way to diagnose these? Are their any other signs? Do u think I should treat it based on the little amount of flicking I've seen? Thanks for any info u can offer I might just be being paranoid but I want to get it earlier rather then later you know.

There are other reasons for flashing such as PH swings after a water change or high nitrates but if your keeping discus I'm sure your water conditions are pristine(or at least I hope so). Other parasites like ick and velvet could also be the cause, habe there been any new additions recently?

Physical signs of flukes can be redness around the gills, excess body slime around infected area, and some behavioral issues like flashing, clamped fins, and being lethargic. Gill flukes are not visable with the naked eye so without a microscope a visual ID is tough.

Prazipro is easy on the fish and the biological filter as far as meds go so it's not going to hurt them by treating, but without being there and seeing the fish it's up to you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Okay thank you this was very helpful I'm going to wait and keep observing for a day or two if I see it's happening anymore I will start to treat for it. Yeah my water is looking good amm=0 nitrite=0 nitrate= 5ish ph=6.8ish tested with API liquid tests thanks again hopefully I'm just being paranoid

Back
Top Bottom