Discus In 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone kept Discus in a 10 Gallon Aquarium because I want to see how they get on.

NO. They cant. First off they get over 6 inches. Secondly they need to be kept in schools of at least 5. And Third they need very good water. So 10 gallons would never be able to handle 1 let alone a school.

Sorry? dont have to be sorry. Just trying to stop you from spending WAY too much money on discus to have them die on you. They run $50-$150 at my LFS.

So, what size and shape tank would be minimum for a school of five discus?

I would agree with a 75G being a good starting point for a discus school. That would give them a bit of space that a 55G wouldn't afford them.

i agree with everyone else, plus they would have to be around 1 inch to go in a 10,

Sorry just thought I might ask... I have a 76 gallon but I only want 4... Should I just stick with 5?

Also try and make sure the tank is at least 20inched tall the more the better. They are a beautiful fish but only if you give them proper requirements. 75g is what I'd go with for sure though

Sorry guys..
Would a 30 gallon be a good idea for artificially raising fry
And should I do it for their first batch or later on?

Discus Parents dont eat their babies so you could raise them in the main tank

Yeah but my friends discus had eggs and they ate them but I really don't want that to happen lol I think I'll let then try about 10 times and if they still get it wrong I will artificially raise them or put a mesh around the eggs

They will maybe eat them again but they won always do it. They are learning just like everyone is.

Back
Top Bottom