Discus journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I let krill soak for 15 mn. It expands quite a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I never knew that. Ill definetly soak before feedings. The discus will eat any food that i give them now! Which i'm fairly surprised by. The other 55 discus tank they would only eat bloodworms (because of lfs) and it took some time to get them on any new foods.

Twice a week

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I understand that you said as a preventative, but how long are you planning on that ? I would be concerned of excessive use (or overuse) will result in more bad than good. It's an antibiotic and long term it could cause depletion of gut flora which is bad for both fish and people. As well, the liver has to continually process unnecessary meds in turn resulting in over stressing organs eventually leading to premature failure.

There are couple of recommendations to do metro regularly in very small dozes. I just wet the food with metro and given that each fish would eat 4-5 blood worms I doubt that the dozes have any more than a healthy use. Discus are prone to hexamite & stomach infections. I started this after I nearly lost a discus to the same & have been ok for many months. The doze of metro needed for any real impact is 250mg per 10 gallons & compared to that what I give is not even measurable. Medications like tummy wash etc are actually metro based.

I wet the Tetra FD Blood worms that I give twice a week with metro but do not see them expanding. I have tried wetting for 1 HR also but never seen expansion. Am I missing something?.

Eww, not tetra:/ do you have frozen Hikari foods available?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

? Not easily available in India. I'm trying to get it though.

Can't play the video on iPhone. Any chance to load pics?

They're characters!! If anyone but me walks in the room they hide. Sometimes my SO discus wont eat when he feeds them, but will when i do. They're really interesting fish!!

Just wondering if theres any way to help out my blue discus' red nose issue? I've done some research but haven't found any solutions.

You have just started a journey with one of the most intelligent fish species. Ure going to love it. In time they will all come out & you can hand feed them too.

I love the violet blue you have, seems like a deeper blue turquoise
Also love your heckle since it looks a lot like mine
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418620195.135840.jpg

Do your monitor pH?. I'm a bit paranoid on the same & have two pH monitors in my tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418620336.427023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom