Discus leaning over not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muks29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
I got a pair of discus. One died other a bit down.
M blue bath done. I am ttying to establish a malawi and discus tank.
Any advice.
Its been done.
Am not a purist so not looking to perfect chemistry lab conditions.

They r fish should adapt like all living things.

In view of above comments plz

Two electric yellow breeding cichlids.
One rubin red male .
Two albino cichlid fry.
Two discus.
30 gallon tank.
One 600gph sponge power filter
One airpump sponge filter
One under gravel
One airstone.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ps. Water testing kits not available in pakistan.
However people own and keep discus successfully

Both of them died.

I got four more today much bigger then before added heater and thermometer. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• 1396909561551.jpg
    1396909561551.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1396909580503.jpg
    1396909580503.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1396909607519.jpg
    1396909607519.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1396909628899.jpg
    1396909628899.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 80
Dude.. That's the craziest post I've ever read.. You want to do what in a 30 gallon tank?? You don't care about water chemistry?? You like wasting money???

In all honesty I highly doubt that tank will ever work. The discus are shy, timid fish whereas the Malawi cichlids aren't. Plus they're highly aggressive. In order to keep small-medium discus you need to be doing daily or bi-daily water changes. The cichlids will most likely get a large amount of the food as well. And the tank is rather small for discus. Without being able to test the water no one will know why for sure why the first batch died.

You need to get one somewhere. There's a reason they died. You've got a lot to learn about them.

The blackish colored discus has turned to a very nice blue color.
Rest three jave lost their black stress color. I think thats good. They r grazing of the bottom.
I will not feed them today. Tomorrow i will startvyheir food.
I got discus bits.
Optimum dicsus food.sinking
And blood worms freeze dried.

I think the previous two i got were sick as yhey were 7 dollars a pair.
These cost 15 dollars a pair they seem much happier then they were in the shop tank

Dude.. That's the craziest post I've ever read.. You want to do what in a 30 gallon tank?? You don't care about water chemistry?? You like wasting money???

We must've been posting at the same time as I didn't see this. He must have tons of it and not care at all. I didn't even catch the 30 gal part in the OP's first post. ??????

Hi all.
I got a pair of discus. One died other a bit down.
M blue bath done. I am ttying to establish a malawi and discus tank.
Any advice.
Its been done.
Am not a purist so not looking to perfect chemistry lab conditions.

They r fish should adapt like all living things.

In view of above comments plz

Two electric yellow breeding cichlids.
One rubin red male .
Two albino cichlid fry.
Two discus.
30 gallon tank.
One 600gph sponge power filter
One airpump sponge filter
One under gravel
One airstone.

You say you're not a "purist" in regards to water conditions and that's bad for the fish. What's even worse is that you're starting with two and they died so you got more. Not only did you run out and get others to replace the two you lost, you got two additional as well. THAT'S HORRIBLE !!!! You have absolutely no clue !!! You're better off returning these fish ASAP !!!!! YOU are doing a bad thing keeping them in this tank and YOU are gonna kill them too. IMO, you have a lot to learn in general fish keeping and even more in Discus.

You say you're not a "purist" in regards to water conditions and that's bad for the fish. What's even worse is that you're starting with two and they died so you got more. Not only did you run out and get others to replace the two you lost, you got two additional as well. THAT'S HORRIBLE !!!! You have absolutely no clue !!! You're better off returning these fish ASAP !!!!! YOU are doing a bad thing keeping them in this tank and YOU are gonna kill them too. IMO, you have a lot to learn in general fish keeping and even more in Discus.

I agree. You didn't even have a heater before...do some research, these are not easy fish and the mixing with Africans is a terrible idea

People own and keep Discus successfully because they do a lot of research and don't but things "just because". After you kill off the new ones, please don't get anymore.

Wow you guys are really pushing me out of discus hobby. Over here all people keep discus in mature tanks . No one has ever used water kits. We dont have them at shops. If discus establish i do plan on removing the cichlids. Plz dont forget that its law of nature that living things adapt. I am doing all within the available resources to maintain these fish. Rest is upto nature. We cant play God. My friends say when they started out they kept at it till they get some discus which settle in aquarium as the fish sellers dont sell good stuff.
Once they settle they thrive and reproduce.
Also i have been advised not to change water before a month now that i jave discus . And only do 30 after that.
Sorry guys but this works here in our setup. So stay positive and cheerful. Fingers crossed.

Am a bit dissappointed . You guys know a lot about gadgets and equipment . Here people know nothing about equipment and a lot about fish. We use aged tap water thats about all that we do still we succeed.
Now i would appreciate if you would actually try to help me with some knowhow of the fish instead of spreading negativity .

Wow you guys are really pushing me out of discus hobby. Over here all people keep discus in mature tanks . No one has ever used water kits. We dont have them at shops. If discus establish i do plan on removing the cichlids. Plz dont forget that its law of nature that living things adapt. I am doing all within the available resources to maintain these fish. Rest is upto nature. We cant play God. My friends say when they started out they kept at it till they get some discus which settle in aquarium as the fish sellers dont sell good stuff.
Once they settle they thrive and reproduce.
Also i have been advised not to change water before a month now that i jave discus . And only do 30 after that.
Sorry guys but this works here in our setup. So stay positive and cheerful. Fingers crossed.

So here it goes.
Yes I'm pushing you out of Discus keeping. Why ? Because it's very clear you've done no research.
Mature tanks. Yes. We have no info about yours.
Water kits. I highly doubt no one ever uses them. I believe you haven't talked to enough people. As for their availability, you obviously have access to the internet since you've made it this far, order one. You'd be surprised what you can get. And, you can be a leader and not a follower. Stand out and be different than everybody else. It's your opportunity to shine.
If they establish. As others pointed out, there's less of a chance for this to happen if you keep repeating the same mistakes. Yes you can play God. Especially with fish since you control everything about the tank. You are their God.
What your friends say. If we all listened to our friends, we all would have died many times, many years ago. If your fish sellers don't sell good stuff, go elsewhere. You have the internet and can get it. It's not about once they settle.
Advised not to change water is pretty stupid. Especially with the bioload you currently have. To follow that is even more stupid.
Your other thread you asked for advice and I (and others)gave it to you here then you go on to say "it works here". So why ask if your not gonna follow ? Am I wasting my time or what ? So basically the choice is up to you. Here's a little basic info. You can listen to your friends or you can read this very basic article. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090811030550AA6QRo5

Fish doing much better then the previous stock . Hope they adjust to their new aquarium. The blue one is very quick to change color.

Attachments

• 1396960103313.jpg
    1396960103313.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 89
You ask for advice but no one can help if your not going to listen. You do realize discus can get huge right? That 30 gallon is to small. You said to let nature take its course but what is natural about a small glass box with fish from two completely different continents.. We are not trying to be rude, just want to see fish cared for properly.you should be doing at the least 30-50% wc a week and it really should be more than that. Your tank is overstocked.

Bribo read my previous post that will relieve your anxiety regarding stock.
Do keep telling me if u know anything about the actual fish.

I see you will be removing the Africans good. What temp do you have the tank set at? Discus like warmer water. Also what are you feeding them?

28 to 29. Wont raise to 30 for reason of other fish.
I wrote the new foods i got for these beauties 4 different brands . For discus. But feeding very sparingly today gave them first feed. Which they ignored and kept eating from the gravel . I fed at 2 crumbs per fish

Back
Top Bottom