Discus Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend is quitting the hobby and giving me his 55 gallon tank and FW equipment - to go with my 29G Reef, 29G planted, & 29G Community tanks. (Gee, I hope my wife doesnt notice!)

I have debated a Discus tank, but I am not sure it will work within my mental boundaries.

I do not care for bare bottom tanks and I would prefer artificial plants for this tank. I can do large PWC's, but not more than once every 7 days or so.

Is a Discus tank 'doable' within these parameters or should I go in another direction?

I have heard of it being done, but you may have more problems then most. Discus are the major for cleanliness of their water.

If i were you, i would talk with BrianNY as he is the king of discus on the board (at least in my opinion)

I think so. I have a 46 gal discus tank with gravel and a combination of artificial and real plants. They don't really eat my plants that much. They just like to have places to hide if they want to. I do pwc every sunday. I do about a 20% change. I would do it if I was you.

I run an aquaclear 70 and a canister filter on my tank. I alternate cleaning each filter. The water stays very clear and the discus do real well.

I have kept discus in a planted tank doing only weely 50% pwcs. There are 3 keys to this.

1. Keep the bioload very small
2. Do this only with adult discus
3. Make sure the tank is well established before adding the discus, and once they are in do not add any other fish (including more discus).

Also prepare to be flexible with your water changing regimen. At the first sign of stress a pwc needs to be done. Discus not only love, but need very clean water. If you don't already own a python you should get one. I can change 50% in in a 55g in under 15 minutes.

BrianNY,

Thanks for the advice...

I had only planned on 2 or 4 Discus...but I also like to add other compatable fish from time to time. I guess that won't be a good idea in my case.

I do own a python, but i have been doing PWC's straight from the tap (then adding Start Right Crystals). It has not been a problem with my community tank and my planted tank, but it looks like it may be a problem with a Discus tank. I do not have the means to store 30 or 40 gallons of fresh water to use for PWC's.

Since I like to 'tinker' with a tank from time to time, maybe a Discus tank is not for me.

Well, I have a little time to think about my options...Thank you all for your input.

No prob. BTW, you don't have to store water. I do all my pwcs straight from the tap and add dechlor. Discus are very adaptable to most water conditions as long as they are stable.

If I went with a planted tank, and could commit to more frequent PWC's, what type of plants would you recommend to go with Discus?

Back
Top Bottom