discus questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kloned

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i have a 55g tank with 12 neons,3 zebra danios, and 5 corys. would a discus be compatible with the tank i have so far? is it ok to keep only 1 discus? what kind of discus would be most attractive for this tank? thanks!

Discus do better in a tank that is designed around them and then, possibly a couple of dither fish, if at all. Discus require a lot of maintenance is well. Your current tank would not be an ideal environment.

I must agree with Jchillin. I started a discus tank and it is a discus only tank, with the exception of some cory cats and 2 albino BN pleco babies for bottom clean up. They require higher temps than most fish are comfortable with. When I first started with discus I wanted to put other fish in with them but soon realized with some research this would not be the best for the discus. They are a sensitive fish, and don't do well with stress and water parameter fluctuations. But you could always get another tank and start with discus after it was cycled. MTS can be a wonderful thing.

I have discus with other fish.... They seem to be fine. theyre in a 4ft by 2ft high tank.300litres. there are 9 discus(5 juvenile), 10 cardinal tetras, 8 blackwidow tetras, 5 mollies, 4 borneo suckers, 1 clown plecostomus 4 1\2 in, 1 ghost knife 9in, 1 pictus catfish 4in.... In my 2x2x2 200liter tank i had 2 juvenile discus, 1 10in ghosht knife, 3 blue rams, 2 gold rams, 10 black widows, 15 columbian tetras, 2in gold spotted pleco, 4 1\2in bristle nose. So yeah it can be done. I keep the tank at 29C. Both are reasonably planted with anubius and thin val. I have good fitration on both, and do PWC every 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom