Discus Setup and Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rakolde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 90 gallon tank and I'm planning to set it up for 6 Discus. I'm not sure what else to put in with them. I was thinking Cardinal(20) and Rummynose(10) tetras and Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlids(3-4). Will this be a good amount of fish and will they get along? Is there any other compatable fish that would get along with Discus? I plan on having the tank planted before the Discus are put in. I'm not sure on plant types though. I know only that they have to be able to withstand warmer water(plan on 82F). What species of plants would be suitable?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have 90 gallon tank and I'm planning to set it up for 6 Discus. I'm not sure what else to put in with them. I was thinking Cardinal(20) and Rummynose(10) tetras and Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlids(3-4). Will this be a good amount of fish and will they get along? Is there any other compatable fish that would get along with Discus? I plan on having the tank planted before the Discus are put in. I'm not sure on plant types though. I know only that they have to be able to withstand warmer water(plan on 82F). What species of plants would be suitable?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm no where near close to some expert of discus but I'm pretty sure I read fast moving fish stress them out. Just a suggestion. There's my 2¢.

Maybe look at bottom feeders that don't produce much waste?(because discus like pristine water)

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

You'd be fully stocked with those fish. Be sure to add the discus and then add the apistos and keep an eye on them, though there shouldn't be any issues. I think the temperature is a little high for rummynose to where it could stress them out but I know other people keep them together. I've never kept discus either, just information I've picked up from reading. I'm sure someone else will be around to comment. Treemanone2003 seems to know quite a bit about discus so maybe message him or hopefully he'll chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If it were me? Start bare bottom with juvie discus and a big shoal of cardinals. Grow them all out together. Substrate and scape once everyone hits adult size! no apistos, they prefer cooler temps and would probably hide most of the time anyways with big bad discus on the prowl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a 90g tank, I would only recommend keeping DIL grown adults. Simply because trying to grow out fry, juvies, or sub adults in anything that size is an absolute waste of space and water. Unless you don't fill it up. I'd also agree to skip he rummynose as they wont make it too well with the heat. When it comes to plants, here's a wonderful list. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?23360-TAKIN-THE-HEAT!-PLANTS-FOR-DISCUS-TANKS Also, when it comes to plants AND Discus, if this is your first rodeo with both, I suggest taking one at a time and to start with plants. They're much cheaper than Discus. From the same forum, this is the basic need to know that you should read over a couple times before taking the plunge. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus Being a species only forum, you'll probably get the most out of that. I know it helped me more than once in the last ten years of keeping them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks for the replies!

I have another question. I have the tank ready and cycled for the discus. I checked the water parameters today and the GH is 304.3ppm. I've done lots of research and they say 179 - 268.5 ppm. Can the discus survive in hard water if acclimated properly? if not will Water Softener Pillows work to reduce the hardness?

Hardness is irrelevant when it comes to raising them. It's only relevant when it comes to breeding.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom