Discus tank info???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been considering doing a discus tank and I've been reading up on them, my main 2 concerns are does it really matter if u have sand or gravel?? And it says they like calm waters, currently I have 2 Fluval fx5's on the tank. Is that too much water flow for them??? Any advice would be appreciated!

I think sand would be a better substrate for them. This is the info I can get! They like water to be at 82 f and they like very soft acidic water. You could keep around 8 in that size tank

Samzter said:
I think sand would be a better substrate for them. This is the info I can get! They like water to be at 82 f and they like very soft acidic water. You could keep around 8 in that size tank

Thanks for the info! Do you know about the water flow though??

Yes probably I have the fluval u3 in my tank and that has a setting where you can bet gentle flow. If you could find the biggest one of them it would be alright. Even though you might need 2 and their quite expensive

Samzter said:
Yes probably I have the fluval u3 in my tank and that has a setting where you can bet gentle flow. If you could find the biggest one of them it would be alright. Even though you might need 2 and their quite expensive

Well that's nothing new lol darn filters r always so expensive, well thanks I'll look into that!

Discus are shy or sensitive fish. This means if you want tankmates you can't have fast fish zipping around. These setups really achieve that zen theme. Gouramis, tetras, and cories are all possible tankmates.

bettaowner said:
Discus are shy or sensitive fish. This means if you want tankmates you can't have fast fish zipping around. These setups really achieve that zen theme. Gouramis, tetras, and cories are all possible tankmates.

Thanks, if u want, I have a different thread going titled "discus tank underway" take a look if ur interested

OBEYtheFISH said:
You can always regulate the flow of the Fx5s
I used to run 2 in my 180 gallon

Thanks! I actually realized that a few days ago when i was cleaning one of them!

TWO fluval Fx5s? First of all, that's like what $800? lol, but really, one is rated for up to 400gal. One is way plenty. I'd remove the other one. Set the remaining on low flow. And I use eco complete as my substrate.

First off 82 F water is abit to cold for discus. If they are not adults I'd keep the water at 84-86 F. It will help them grow and help them eat more. Problem with this is It is hard to find plants and fish that do well with them. Neon tetras or cardinal tetras do really well with them, so do Cory cats. Angels can do well but you need to make sure they do not have any diseases because they can give discus disease, and take all their food. So you have to be careful! You also got to be big on water changes! I do 2, 30% water changes weekly. I could do more but can't be hassled to since I have more tanks. Discus are harder fish to take care of but are totally worth it with their colours and amazing personality!

herp_mommy said:
TWO fluval Fx5s? First of all, that's like what $800? lol, but really, one is rated for up to 400gal. One is way plenty. I'd remove the other one. Set the remaining on low flow. And I use eco complete as my substrate.

$800 retail yes.. but with the good world of Craigslist I got 2 of em for $300 :)

jbree13 said:
First off 82 F water is abit to cold for discus. If they are not adults I'd keep the water at 84-86 F. It will help them grow and help them eat more. Problem with this is It is hard to find plants and fish that do well with them. Neon tetras or cardinal tetras do really well with them, so do Cory cats. Angels can do well but you need to make sure they do not have any diseases because they can give discus disease, and take all their food. So you have to be careful! You also got to be big on water changes! I do 2, 30% water changes weekly. I could do more but can't be hassled to since I have more tanks. Discus are harder fish to take care of but are totally worth it with their colours and amazing personality!

Thanks for your info! I currently have the tank at 84°. Still haven't bought any discus yet, still saving up my money lol and Im already big on water changes so no problems there :)

Alright good! Your discus should be fine! Where do you plan on buying them from? I'd HIGHLY recommend a discus breeder. Try to find one in your area. The fish are so much healthier, better taken care of, ect. Then they would be if you bought them at a pet store, they are usually alot cheaper as well. I got F1 wild iguar discus for 30$ 2" In size. While at a fish store they were selling a pigeon blood for say 90$ which looked like it was dying! Just make sure your buying them healthy and from a good source!

herp_mommy said:

I want my water crystal clear ;) i got 3 for a little less than 450$
I have both in about half flow on opposite sides

Neon tetras like it a bit lower then cardinals so cardinals would be a better choice
Also rummynose tetras make a great schooling fish companions
I would add juvie angels after the Discus have grown some

jbree13 said:
Alright good! Your discus should be fine! Where do you plan on buying them from? I'd HIGHLY recommend a discus breeder. Try to find one in your area. The fish are so much healthier, better taken care of, ect. Then they would be if you bought them at a pet store, they are usually alot cheaper as well. I got F1 wild iguar discus for 30$ 2" In size. While at a fish store they were selling a pigeon blood for say 90$ which looked like it was dying! Just make sure your buying them healthy and from a good source!

Yeah my LFS wants a ridiculous amount of money for one discus, I found a breeder but when he gets orders in, they fly outta there so i gotta wait unfortunately :/

Back
Top Bottom