Discus: what are your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that makes me not worry as much. What's your PH at?

My ph actually falls out in the higher range of 7.8-8.0. I have always been a firm believer in the fact that fish can adjust to just about any ph as long as it is stable. I keep primarily South American fish that have soft water and low ph in their natural environment. My fish go through a normal drip acclimation process and all adjust just fine. My geos breed regularly, although they suck at being parents, they spawn just about every 3-6 weeks.

Wow isn't that pretty high for discus? Anyway I think I agree with you about fish adapting to a new environment.

Wow isn't that pretty high for discus? Anyway I think I agree with you about fish adapting to a new environment.

My ph in some people's opinion is "too high" for the fish I keep but like I said, I acclimate properly and my fish breed. That should be indicators that something is right. Ph IMO is less of a factor than just overall good water quality.

My ph in some people's opinion is "too high" for the fish I keep but like I said, I acclimate properly and my fish breed. That should be indicators that something is right. Ph IMO is less of a factor than just overall good water quality.

This is true and Hukit can confirm from when he kept discus. Unless trying to breed them ph isn't that important. Have clean water is the most important thing

That's not hard at all. On that note I should test my tap water hardness lol

Haha so it's all just keeping the water warm and big PWCs.

That sounds simple. Wonder why people think they're so hard to keep?

Haha so it's all just keeping the water warm and big PWCs.

That sounds simple. Wonder why people think they're so hard to keep?

Please keep in mind that I'm learning as I go and am simply stating my findings so far. I'm not seeing what the fuss is about so far. Seem like every other fish I keep. Good clean water and a good diet of NLS. So far so good. I have had casualties but I attribute them to conspecific aggression and not water parameters.

Like 2 25% a week?

I would test parameters and do water changes accordingly. When nitrates are above 10ppm fo a pwc. Mine are in a 125 with a pretty hefty stock list and 50% weekly has worked so far to keep the trates low. DON'T over feed!!!

Like 2 25% a week?

IMO that's not sufficient enough. I would do at least 20% every other day. I know you're not interested in breeding, but to keep them in breeding conditions, my breeder does 100% daily to keep them growing fast and healthy. It sucks mainly because discus need large tanks, so you'll be moving a significant amount of water.

it doesn't matter what the percentage of water change is, but the general consensus is that you need a HUGE water change every week

that's not entirely true. if you look at the breeder setups, 80-90% water change is not unusual

The discus will be harmed by large weekly water changes because it is a drastic change to the water perimeters smaller more often is the key to success I have a 150 gallon with 14 discus and have learned the hard way how to keep discus I have lost 5 discus in the beginning I think it is best to keep consistent PWC's it's like the fish don't even notice the change rather then hitting a large change all at once. Although a large change is fine if done daily because the water perimeters haven't changed much over night. Just my 2 cents good luck

Attachments

• image-2514816678.jpg
    image-2514816678.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom