Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Halloo every one,I was surrfing the net and found your helpfull site :)
and I would like to share my info with some one like you people.I have been keeping saltwater tanks for years now and would like to try freshwater .So here we go,My tank is 40 U.S.Gal its fully cycled and every thing seems great.ph.6.5-7.0,ammonia 0,nitrite0,nitrate0,gh 61ppm,kh20-25ppm,temp 82F.I was thinking about getting some discus.What do you think?
If possibale.How many young (2-4 inc)can I keep to prevent them from hiding all the time?
Which plants do you think I could/should keep in such a tank(pics?) with 2x25W AquaGlo(18000k).Would they be effected by this tempreture?
Hope you could help.

Hi Mack, and welcome. I started keeping discus back in June and have raised 5 from 2" to almost 5"(see the pics in my gallery). Young discus have a bit more special needs then adults. Raising young discus in a planted tank would be a lot of work. They require clean, clean, clean water and conditions to stay in optimum health. That means a lot of gravel vacs with the daily water changes. I've raised mine in bare bottom 29 gal to lesson the work load.

Also discus do better in larger groups when they are young. The feeling of security in numbers and the competition for food keeps them active and feeding. Many people who get young fish, buy too few and this makes the fish timid and shy.

Anyway rule of thumb...1 adult per 10 gallons. If you still have your heart set on discus, they're wonderful fish to keep. Let me know if you do and I'll pass on where I did well, and some pitfalls to avoid.

Brian

Well I think BrianNY will be very helpful to you, so hopefully we will hear from him, but I think you can probably do it, maybe 3-4 individuals.

I know that with discus water changes (often daily) are an important part of keeping them, and keeping the pH stable will be important as well. Are the readings you gave from your tap or have you manipulated them with additives? If you are a SW keeper then you are already well on your way in terms of understanding what you need to do, but it will be easiest if you can adapt the fish to your water, because with so frequent water changes it is easier to keep things stable.

I think BrianNY is going to be planting his discus tank, so he has probably already researched the appropriate plants and can lend a hand here.

Good luck - I am jealous! :D

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the helpful information ,Your discus are cool man,I would still love to put my hand on some discus to add to my 40gal .So what do you think about my set up?What about plants?Any helpful advice?

Hey Tankgirl, I told you you were too kind. And I'm jealous of how far ahead of me you are with the planted tanks. :mrgreen:

Yep. My 125 will be a planted discus tank. It's up and running for a week now, still cycling. I'll post a pic later today. The discus that go in this tank will be those I've from young and will be fully grown. Hopefully between 6 and 8 inches.

And Mack, I didn't mean to come off like a know it all. But if you decide discus are the way to go. Discus are not that hard to raise, if you start with the proper set of conditions and keep at it. I'd rather see you and the fish have the best chance for succeeding, which is why I suggest maybe 6 2" fish in a barebottom 29. Four young fish will get lost in 40 gallon.

Brian

Ok brian.How many then do you think?How do you tell the differnt between male and female or does it matter?
I have 13gal tank as QT.Should I treat the new comers with meds?or high temp method?'

Hi Mack, All great questions.
1. It's hard to sex discus. So don't even concern yourself with it.
2. On the plant end, I would go with low mainaniance to start. Crypts, Jave fern, annubias all can take the high temps.
3. Will the discus have any tank mates that are in the 40 gallon now? That has a bearing on your QT.
4. Don't concern yourself too much with water chemistry. Discus aren't that fussy unless we're talking about breeding.
5. Tell me about your filters?
6. Are you planning CO2 injection?
7. Are you willing to change 10 gallons of water a day?
8. Where are you planning on getting your discus?
9> Where are you in Canada? I know Toronto quite well and it's one of my favorite places :)

My soon to be discus home

:D Awaiting the ammonia spike

LOL. I don't know how the pic was posted so many times. Thanks for response guys. And Capt.....that pic was taken this morning as I was leaving for work, so...No ammonia or nitrite reading as of yet.

PS. I'm meeting with a discus breeder tonight at his hatchery. Hopefully I'll be able to put dibs on some cool fish :lol:

HMMM. How tall are you? We could all get in but let's heat the water up 98 and turn on the jets :lol:

Great tank Brian,
I have no other fish in the tank right now,but am thinking to get neon tetras and some catfish.
Am using power filter .
Am not planning CO2 injection.
To be honest am not willing on daily water changes (what about weekly or at least every other day)
I will buy the discus from the LFS they will get new shipment by monday

Wheeee! Party in Bryan's tank! I'll bring the beer...everyone better have ID ;)

Weekly may not be enough for discus Mack; they are VERY demanding, and really need clean fresh treated water on a VERY frequent basis. I don't know about every other day; it might be enough, but I'd get some second opinions on that.

What an extraordinary tank Brian. I love it. :) That wall is wonderful too. Don't often see the diagonal strips.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd have a huge tank with a row of seating (highly padded with pillows and drink holders, etc.) all around it! Then I could just sit and watch fish in complete comfort. ::sigh:: Oh, it's nice to dream.

Now, I have to go to my kitchen table to see my teeniny 10 gal - hard chair, cold linoleum (sp?) floor, and a cat that is VERY jealous of my fish who insists I must pet him and he must sit right in front of my face when I try to watch fish. Silly cat.

Hey Alli, I was thinking of having a party. Just us fish people sitting in the hot tub maybe with the snow falling, and telling stories of our fishy lives LOL. You can bring the beer 8) . Who's in???

And Kerrine, you should see my cats when I do my water changes. They must play in the bucket as I'm siphoning ( I don't have a python yet).

Now Mack buddy. Here's my suggestion. Discus can't mix with neons. Neons can't take the 84 temp that discus need. It's great that you have no other fish in the tank. Best to keep it that way. You can get by on a water change every other day, so long as you keep an eye on the fish poop. Hmmm. Does your tank have gravel now?

Filters. I suggest a sponge filter for bio, and a good cannister or HOB for mechanical. No chemical is needed. And NO Carbon filtration at all. It stunts their growth and can poison them in the long run.

Feeding. High protein stuff at least 2 or 3 times a day. Hikari frozen bllod worms are great. So are live black worms. No tubifex. My discus don't care much for frozen brine shrimp. The beef heart that most discus people talk about is crap in my opinion because it clouds the tank, making my work tougher. They will eat pellets and flkes, seem to like tetramin staple.

With your size tank I would buy 6 young ones. That should be enough to keep them social and happy, but too many to make your work load too tough.

Any other questions, just ask :)

Brian

The carbon has been removed(Forever?)
The gravel in my tank is about 2inc(depth)
Would I still need to QT them(they like worm water about 86F.Right?Then why QT them?)I think the heat will kill just any parasite.
Once again thanks for every thing guys specially Brian :D

Back
Top Bottom