Disposing of unwanted creatures...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverain420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. I received my first shipment of LR from liverocks.com (Very Nice) Unfortunately alot of the little crabs didn't make it through the shipping process (quite a few did though!) and now I have a bucket of dead crabs! What is the best way to dispose of them? I also have a brittle start that is clinging to life, if he does not make it (and it does not look good), how do I best dispose of him? And if some of the surviving crabs turn out to be a nuisance... I know how to bait them, but then what? I will certainly offer them to my LFS, but what if they do not want them? I find it unfair to kill a crab because he will not exist in my aquarium, but I also know it's not safe or healthy to the environment to just let them go in the ocean. What do other people do?

as far as the dead ones go you could flush em or i would throw them out in the woods but i dunno if you live by any woods the live ones if you have a fuge or sump you could put them in there or maybe just see if someone else might want them

Ya i mean for the dead ones you can just tossem in the nightly trash takeout. For the live ones that you cant find a home for you can 'put them to sleep' so to speak by putting them in ice cold water for a few minutes. This will basicly shut their body process's down.

Please dont release captive items into the ocean. Its more cruel than putting them to sleep. If they do survive (probably wont) they could acutally become a nussance and damage the local ecosystem.

Not sure yet... I plan on having soft corals though so will have to keep an eye out.

And I wouldn't let them go in the ocean - it would be way too cold for them out here! LOL

Back
Top Bottom