Dissapearing sakura shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler D

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought 2 Sakura (orange variation of the red cherry) shrimp and the next day when I woke one was missing and I haven't seen it since. Do they burry themselves when stressed? It hasn't jumped and the other one is doing great with my betta and apple snail. Is there any chance it died from the stress of the move and my apple snail ate it before I woke? My snail is about 2/3 the diameter of a pop bottle cap.

It is (or was) in a planted 5 gallon with 1 female betta(always kept in a community tank so not aggressive) and an apple snail. My substrate is sand so I was also considering maybe it could have burried itself. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Are you sure your betta did eat the shrimp? I have 5 betta males all have ghost shrimp in their tanks and peacefully coexist but have heard from more then few betta owners that their eat their shrimp

Are you sure your betta did eat the shrimp? I have 5 betta males all have ghost shrimp in their tanks and peacefully coexist but have heard from more then few betta owners that their eat their shrimp

Spellchecker again! Sorry meant to as if you were sure that your betta didn't eat your shrimp

Yeah. She has never shown any aggression towards anything other than new bettas when she was kept in a sorority. And that was minor and only till the pecking order was established. And she is sick and not eating much. Bacterial infection of the gills. :( got her on meds tho

Shrimp are masters at hiding, however it this case it sounds like it's tank mates took care of its carcass. Give it a few more days ... it may have molted and is hiding since there is a fish with it.

Agree with jcolon, they do hide very well! That and if you ever tried to fish one out (like I did before treating my betta tank for velvet) you'll learn that they are also hudinis! Can't catch them! Especially in planted tank! Talk about speed! Omg! I had to give up trying and just take a chance of losing my ghosts whom I love dearly, but you can only do what you can do and so far my little shrimp seem ok after 3 days of dosing with Quick Cure. I do expect some losses tho:( we'll see

Yeah. As long as the meds don't have copper or warn against it they should be ok. Treatin my whole tank with tetra fungus gaurd ATM.

Thanks. She is the last one of my bettas:( had 3 in the tank and only one

Back
Top Bottom