Distance between flower pot, zoas, and hammer ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetinyreef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388538116.614411.jpg

There are days where I feel the shape of my live rock makes it challenging to place corals. Is this ok? I just acquired the zoas and the hammer coral. They are a little upset and closed because I just moved them to where I was thinking they should go. The flower pot cannot be moved...it's grown the rock and loves it there.

Oh and that is an empty shell I used to prop up the hammer frag. I need to buy more glue.

As long as they aren't touching you'll be ok. If the hammer decides he wants to send out sweeper tentacles, they reach up several inches. Just keep an eye out for it.

As long as they aren't touching you'll be ok. If the hammer decides he wants to send out sweeper tentacles, they reach up several inches. Just keep an eye out for it.

Maybe I can try to move the hammer more to the right-- up against the protruding tip of the rock. Hopefully he would get enough light and flow there. Also, I've never owned a colony if zoas before. When they spread and start encroaching on neighboring corals I understand you can frag them. But do people just break up their entire live rock piece or do they just chisel out a section? I sure do appreciate all the help!

People frag them all sorts of ways, including what you listed.

Oh ok...I'll have some fun on YouTube and see if I can find some videos. :). I think I've come up with a design plan that might work. That would be moving the hammer on top of the protruding rock ledge with more light/current and it can have that whole section of the tank to itself. I would move the zoas onto the sand in the middle of the tank. (I hope they would do ok like that. They are on a large rock) Wish I could put something where the zoas are now though. I'm just at a loss what it could be...open space I guess! A fake coral? Hahaha...just kidding I would never do that!

Sorry, I can't see the pic. How big is your tank.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank is a 16 gallon Nuvo. My picture was just the right hand side of the tank. Here is a full view. Hopefully you can see it.

[ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388540732.467294.jpg

They have plenty of distance don't worry. Although I do like the idea of putting it on the ledge!

Yes, yes it does, doesn't it? I like it, kinda is like a valley.

Yes it does resemble a valley. :). I love my rocks...just sometimes get stumped as to what to get for what location. Any suggestions for the bare spot between my red mushrooms and rhodactis mushroom? The shrooms don't do well there...(they always shrivel) the flow is too strong for them in the middle and the lighting is about a medium. Maybe a Duncan?

Well that's a hard one actually haha I had to think awhile but here is what I came up with. Either a Duncan,pom Pom Xenia, or something like a hammer coral or torch!

Well that's a hard one actually haha I had to think awhile but here is what I came up with. Either a Duncan,pom Pom Xenia, or something like a hammer coral or torch!

Do you know how long I have stood and stared at that bare spot...trying to figure it out! Lol I like your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom