Distilled water=Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know what your directions say but on my oceanic salt it says 1/2 cup per gallon. What brand salt are you using?

Yup... should say on your box/bag/bucket. I think most brands are 1/2 cup per gallon though. You might have to tweak it a bit to get the correct salinity you want. For example, Reef Crystals mixes up to 1.021 using 1/2 cup mix per gallon. For FOWLR, that's probably OK. If you're going reef, you're probably looking for something closer to 1.025 which means you'll have to add a bit more mix per gallon.

Once you figure out what salinity you want, find a combination of nice round numbers to work with for cups of salt and gallons of water and it'll make your life much nicer in the end! Personally... I shoot for 1.024 and mix up 3.5 gallon batches, using 2 cups of salt mix for the 3.5 gallons of water.

I agree, you just have to play with it. Once you figure out the mixture, it will be easy. Make sure you measure it at the same temp as your tank (or at least not straight from the cold water) and pre-mix it for at least 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom