Ditaoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LMG, your tank isn't finished cycling but it already shows diatoms, I wonder about that. Did you do the testing, because how your LFS know whether it's ready or not, did you bring to them for testing? I would suggest you get the test kit.

As for goisles1, you should get 3-5 Nassarius snails, that's the one that clean your sand bed. I got 2 for my tank size and it's doing an awesome job. You could never see it because it always hide inside the sand, you'll see the long tentacles up above the sand, when you give food, usually it will climbed up.

Bawel... Thanks for the advice.. Pretty much how I was thinking.. I may throw in a couple Turbo snails and some more MAragitas.

Yeah, just don't go overboard with the snails, cause Turbo really grows fast, just afraid you don't have much to feed after your diatoms clean up :) If you want a nice looking snails and if you have it near your LFS, get Astrea star snails, I got 1 for my tank, wanted to get 2 but the LFS ran out of it, it's just too pretty I guess :) I was 15 of them like the day before.

Well... lights just came on.. Instead of at 11am :).

Believe it or not, It already looks like the Diatoms are going away.

We'll see.. Just did my weekly 10%PWC. Curious to see if the new Water feeds the Algae (Silicates).

EDIT - Still going to pick up 10g of RO water from the LFS on Sunday for Top off and my next PWC.

Cheers,
Rob

Good job Rob!!! Keep us updated, so we know the progress if you still need any help. Lighting hours make a huge difference, isn't it?

Diatoms are a part of any new tank in my experience. Clean up crew is added once the cycle is over and ya got fish. They eat the leftover, stuck in the nooks and crannies, food.

They'll disappear as quickly as they showed up. I don;t believe a CUC will change anything.

I have a test kit, I did it myself. I have heard from many that the diatom bloom I am experiencing is the last part of the cycle. They are right down the road from my house so im in there a couple times a week, I have talked to them about what has been going on every step of the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom