Ditch the Carbon Pack Already on AquaClear 110?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It looks like the ceramic rings in my 110 are beginning to be "pushed up" in the media basket from what appears to be a "swollen" carbon pouch -- is it possible this pouch is exhausted and needs to be thrown out or replaced with another kind of media?

What are the dangers of just taking the carbon pouch out at this point? (it's been running in the filter since I got it) If I want to drop PhosGuard (Seachem) into the area where the carbon was, in a media bag, is this a problem?

I know the bio rings really shouldn't be replaced in these AC HOBs, but what about the sponge block? Do these just need occasional rinsing?

I don't run carbon on any of my tanks unless I'm trying to remove medication or tannins from the water. About once a month, I really squeeze out the sponge in a bucket of old tank water and I rinse the biomedia in the same bucket to get the gunk off it. It's simple, but it works. The water in my tanks is clearer than the glass.

Ok then here is a question I have two powerfilters on my 55 gal one is a terra 70 with carbon filter cartridges and a marienland 250 with a carbon cartridge and bio wheel what can I use instead of these cartridges in my filters

When you say "carbon cartridge" is that a bag of activated carbon or a filter cartridge with some activated carbon inside?

I'm assuming the terra 70 is supposed to be a Tetra Whisper 70. It looks like the cartridges are clam shell style, so you could use whatever you can get to stay in the cartridge. Canister filter foam would be my choice.

I'm not familiar with a Marineland 250 power filter. If it's the 200 or 350 model, look into the media cages. They're a bit tough to find, so I had to order mine online. I cut some canister filter foam to fit the slots of the media cage and used that instead of a filter cartridge. It was far superior to the factory cartridge.

I don't run carbon on any of my tanks unless I'm trying to remove medication or tannins from the water. About once a month, I really squeeze out the sponge in a bucket of old tank water and I rinse the biomedia in the same bucket to get the gunk off it. It's simple, but it works. The water in my tanks is clearer than the glass.

Well, I wish the water in my tank was clearer than the glass, but I don't think that's ever going to happen in my situation what with the diatom attacks and keeping goldfish; at any rate, the thing is, what is happening to my carbon pouch in the 110 is that it looks as if it's "swelling" and pushing the bio max pellets up in the media basket...

I am waiting on a shipment of Seachem's PhosGuard to help control my diatoms, but in the meantime, should I remove the carbon pack? Does the swelling mean it's exhausted?

Back
Top Bottom