Ditching carbon and replacing with...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after a lot of reading on the forum I think I'm gonna ditch the carbon in my Tetra EX45 HOB filter. In retrospect I probably would've gotten a canister filter for my tank (planted fairly well), but such is life. My question is, what should I replace the carbon with? I've seen mention of floss and ceramic tiles. Would it be possible to buy an empty filter package and put some floss, tiles, or "insert suggestion here" in it and place it in the slot where the carbon went? Thanks!

Is the carbon in a rigid "pre-fabricated" packet? or is it in a loose bag-type setup?

If it's a baggy, you can just buy a filter bag, fill it with bio media or more filter floss, and plop it in.

If it's a rigid packet that was manufactured to fit in a specific slot, you'd be better off cutting the packet open - emptying out the carbon into the garbage, and then filling the packet with floss or biomedia. then try and re-seal it either with fishing line or a rubber band. Just dont fill it so full that it doesn't fit in the slot anymore.

Thanks guys. My HOB uses the pre-fabricated carbon packet. I like the idea of cutting it open and emptying the carbon out. I might try some floss and ceramic tiles in there.

Back
Top Bottom