Divider for convict cichlid breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman88888

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to divide my 75 gal into 3 sections and add to my 1 pair of breeding convicts (I want to get 2 more pairs)

With the divider I understand it needs to have holes in it for water flow... So I'm wondering if the fry swim through the holes, and lets say one pair hasn't had babies yet... Will they eat the fry of the other convicts? Or would they protect them like they're their own?

You could get a divider with out holes to put the babies in. Just be sure to put a air stone in for oxygen.

Hmmm
I guess that means you believe there's a possibility the other convicts would eat the babies eh... I'm not exactly interested in investing more money, these fish are just to breed for feeding purposes

I suppose I could just remove the parents, scoop the babies out and raise them separately, if I combined like 3 or 4 batches of convict fry in another tank, would that be unhealthy for them in anyway? Would they die quickly if water parameters are different (should I just use the tank water from the other setup the parents would be in?) i just want to do this as successfully as possible the first time, and tweak it from there...

My fish eat over 100 feeders a day... I desperately need this to help with their ever growing appetites lol. I spend more feeding my fish, than I eat myself

How many convict fry could be raised in a 20 gallon? I only need them to grow to about 1/2" - 3/4" .... Potentially with all my convicts if they all gave birth I'd have between 400-600 babies at a time

I want to be a "convict farmer" and a little crop rotation going on (of all different sizes of convict babies) to feed to my various hungry fish

Oh yes .. Maybe I should mention the dinner guests, perhaps I could feed them something else that's a prolific breeder if it would have more nutritional value for my babies, which are as follows:

(5) 7-8" red-tail barracudas
(4) 4-4 1/2" ctenopoma acutirostre
(1) 4" double black angel fish
(1) 4" platinum angel
(1) 2" indo tiger datnoid
(1) 8" black ghost knife

The angels and the black ghost don't eat very many fish, they still prefer frozen foods, but I still see them on occasion preying on the little feeders

The barracudas, leopard bush fish and tiger dat go to town though ... The 2" tiger datnoid eats 20 fish a day somehow... He's a little porker... My goal is to get him to 4" after the first year, I heard that's extremely rare, so I wanna give him all the tools (feeder fish) he needs to get there!

Hmmm I guess that means you believe there's a possibility the other convicts would eat the babies eh... I'm not exactly interested in investing more money, these fish are just to breed for feeding purposes I suppose I could just remove the parents, scoop the babies out and raise them separately, if I combined like 3 or 4 batches of convict fry in another tank, would that be unhealthy for them in anyway? Would they die quickly if water parameters are different (should I just use the tank water from the other setup the parents would be in?) i just want to do this as successfully as possible the first time, and tweak it from there... My fish eat over 100 feeders a day... I desperately need this to help with their ever growing appetites lol. I spend more feeding my fish, than I eat myself How many convict fry could be raised in a 20 gallon? I only need them to grow to about 1/2" - 3/4" .... Potentially with all my convicts if they all gave birth I'd have between 400-600 babies at a time I want to be a "convict farmer" and a little crop rotation going on (of all different sizes of convict babies) to feed to my various hungry fish Oh yes .. Maybe I should mention the dinner guests, perhaps I could feed them something else that's a prolific breeder if it would have more nutritional value for my babies, which are as follows: (5) 7-8" red-tail barracudas (4) 4-4 1/2" ctenopoma acutirostre (1) 4" double black angel fish (1) 4" platinum angel (1) 2" indo tiger datnoid (1) 8" black ghost knife The angels and the black ghost don't eat very many fish, they still prefer frozen foods, but I still see them on occasion preying on the little feeders The barracudas, leopard bush fish and tiger dat go to town though ... The 2" tiger datnoid eats 20 fish a day somehow... He's a little porker... My goal is to get him to 4" after the first year, I heard that's extremely rare, so I wanna give him all the tools (feeder fish) he needs to get there!
i bred convicts for about a year. One thing that you should know is that convicts are very aggressive, especially during breeding. I have had parents eat their own babies because they were ready to breed again. And I would only put similar sized babies in the same tank. I had 2 different litters (1 week apart) in a 20 gallon tank. So for the 20 gallon that would be perfect! They're not the fastest growing fry but give them a few months and they will be a good feeder size. I hope I helped you out some. And if you have anymore questions just ask me. I used to breed convicts for my LFS so I have learned a lot.

Back
Top Bottom