Diving oxygen cylinder for CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother just upgraded his oxygen cylinder for diving, so he has a spare one lying around. This thing is huge compared to most CO2 cylinders for aquariums, I was wondering if I could fill it up with CO2 and integrate that into my setup?

Has anyone ever done something like that? :confused:

I'm going to jump in here and say that I see no reason why you couldn't do that. I'm a retired respiratory therapist, and dealt with all kinds of gas cylinders, in my day. The only thing is, that you probably couldn't use a CO2 regulator on an O2 cylinder, but you use whatever type of regulator is made for that cylinder. All the regulator does is to register the tank pressure in lbs/sq.in., and then step that pressure down to 50psi in order to make it useable for a CO2 flowmeter, and that you can probably purchase in whatever degree of sensitivity that you need for the flow for your tank.

I meant to add the caveat that I don't know what the federal regulations are for that. You would have to research that part of it, whether it is permitted to put CO2 in an O2 cylinder.

Thanks for the quick response. I just talked to my brother and he says the type he has aren't meant for liquid and I think compressed CO2 comes in liquid form. I think I may have found a cheaper/safer alternative in CO2 fire extinguishers. :) I found a 2.5 gallon one for less than $60. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom