DIY 10G reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

944speeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Am making a DIY rimless 10g reef. It is not going to contain any mechanical or chemical filtration. Just biological from the rock. It is going to be a bare bottom rimless look that I'm gonna go for with minimal equipment, The only equipment I need to buy is a fulval m200 heater and it'll be wet. Other equipment include a vortech mp10wes and a 72w cree LED light fixture. Here's the tank after some polycarbonate rim work and painting the bottom.

Attachments

• image-1852779747.jpg
    image-1852779747.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 99
Yeah mp10+sand+10 gal= sand storm. So I'm guessing with all that flow and lift this is going to be an sps build? Oh and an mp10 on a 10, I like your style ;)

Yes an mp10, current is a very important fact when you only have biological filtration. I'm not gonna run sand in it either so I'll be able to tune in the wave in the tank, it's gonna be a mixed reef but I'm gonna showcase some high end sps as well with a couple gobys

I agree about the mp10. Save your money for something really cool. :) Once you get into corals you will welcome that extra cash. lol

Well I have a tank full of corals I'm gonna pull from and an extra mp10 laying around, also the mp is completely adjustable to suite any tank pretty much, 200-1500+ GPH and they don't just blow water in one direction, they circulate the water across the entire tank. And the minimal look is something no other pump can compete with IMO.

True, the look is very clean. I have an MP10 running in my 40b and its almost perfect for that tank. I do keep it at about 50% though, and thats in a tank 4 times the size of the 10g. lol

For some reason I always go with more then enough so I'm able to reach the happy medium, so all my equipment is adjustable. So far it's suite me well in this hobby, but I'm still a novice lol

I've been doing this for a few years and have had hit or miss luck with equipment. While I still think the mp10 is overkill in this situation, you may upgrade tanks and then NEED it. lol But on the other hand, if you do upgrade one day you can still use, say, the koralias I would put on the tank. I have my smaller power heads running in my larger tanks as supplemental flow, like for behind the rocks and such.

Well I chose the mp because of versatility and the wave function is something I really enjoy in nano aquariums. But this tank is just a side project, I have two mp10's in my 40B but I just wanted to mess around with a smaller tank. There's no filtration other than live rock and water changes btw

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom