DIY 29 gallon aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoublEntendre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been unhappy with what my fish tank has been sitting on for a while now (an old TV stand). After getting ideas and doing research, I came up with a design. I am basing it on the modern-looking ADA stands that I like so much. I then drew the design out on paper and then created it in Google SketchUp. I attached the images I came up with.

After actually being able to look at a 3D rendering of the stand, I am unhappy with how bulky the frame is. I am also unhappy with the awkward shape of the bottom shelf. It would be very difficult for me to cut that shape from a piece of wood given my novice woodworking level.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the stand? I want to prevent racking but am I going overboard with bulking things up?

Attachments

• tankstandframe.jpg
    tankstandframe.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,740
  • tankstand.jpg
    tankstand.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 548
  • tankstandinternal.jpg
    tankstandinternal.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 274
I like the layout of the frame. Since you are covering it all why does the bulk disappoint you? Are you planning to put CO2 or a sump under the tank or something?

I was considering putting CO2 underneath. I mostly don't like the shape that the frame creates inside. I don't want to have to cut out that complicated shape for the base shelf. I'd like a rectangle inside, ideally.

Understood.

Actually the shape you have there is pretty similar to my oceanic illuminata stock stand... And it is a pain :).

I was examining the stand that I have my 16 gallon on, and it is infinitely less reinforced than my blueprint. I think I will do a little retooling. It's not like I'm going to have the tank and a couple people on the stand.

Also, how come tank stands never have drawers? I want mine to have a drawer.

The one i'm planning on building is going to have drawers. I saw one the other day on craigslist that had two doors, the right door had a shelf and the left door had three drawers inside. It was really awesome looking

Redesign

So I looked at some ADA tank stands to see how they do it, and I looked at the stand I have some more and I did a redesign. I think what I have is pretty excellent right now. The whole thing would be made from 3/4" plywood (cut almost exclusively into rectanglular pieces), which is good from a monetary and simplicity perspective.

I also added a drawer because I wanted to. But I am worried that it will compromise the stands integrity. It probably won't, but if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, let me know. Also, if you see any other weak spots, I'd love to know.

Attachments

• tankstandframe.jpg
    tankstandframe.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 182
  • tankstand.jpg
    tankstand.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 670
  • tankstandinternal.jpg
    tankstandinternal.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 241
  • tankandstand.jpg
    tankandstand.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 174
So I designed a light fixture based on the AH Supply DIY fixtures to be hung over the tank. I'm still not sure if the drawer will work out, but it looks great.

Attachments

• tankstandwlightfixture.jpg
    tankstandwlightfixture.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 179

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom