DIY 4dKH Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just in case anyone is interested in making their own 4dKH solution:

OK, so I now have a reactor on each of my 3 planted tanks that run CO2, but what is the best way to determine if I have enough CO2? Well, what I going to do was put aquarium water in the drop checker and add the solution just the way the instructions say. But, this is not the best way to do it. After doing some research I found out that it is best to use 4dKH solution with PH indicator added.

I found this thread which describes how to make the solution: KH Standard / How to, but I did not have jeweler's scales or any fancy equipment. But, what I did have was a 500ml water bottle, baking soda, distilled water, and a KH test kit.

I filled the water bottle about 3/4 of the way with distilled water, added a pinch of baking soda and tested the hardness. It was 5dKH on the first try. So, I added more distilled water to the solution. It took about 4 tries to get 4dKH but, I finally got it. I put the solution into the drop checkers and added the PH indicator. Now I'll just wait 2 hours for the results and adjust my CO2 accordingly.

API. I just checked my drop checkers. They are kind of a green blue-green. I think I am on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom