DIY above tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kairus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone ever built one? I have a few fish tanks and I've always wanted to make some DIY filters (and a DIY HOB protein skimmer - but that's for later).

This is what I'm trying to mimic:

izbb7Al.jpg

Apparently these type of set ups are pretty common in Asia. I really like this concept. It's pretty easy to plumb and the only real downside I can think of is having pumps in your tank. Now since I plan to build this for my 6-foot tank, I don't mind as I have a few powerheads in the tank already to eliminate deadspots.

Now my situation is quite unique, as I have a turtle tank and I built an above tank basking area/canopy which looks like this:

HykTBgP.jpg

So I don't have to do anything special to mount/hold such a system.

So now on to my crazy plans:

I plan to use this planter box and I'm going to drill two holes near the top of it and put two makeshift bulkheads in (whatever I can devise while looking for pieces at Home Depot) and then drill a hole on the opposite end - either on the bottom or the side. I have not decided yet - I can drill a hole into the plywood and run it straight though.

I'm going to run two different powerheads into this since I have two (actually 3) laying around. An MJ900, MJ400, and AquaClear 30. So there should be some decent flow.

Let me know what you guys think, I plan to use this for mechanical filtration, and chemical (purigen), that way they can be easily monitored and I can let my canister filter do all the biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom