Diy algae scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Ive been doing some research on diy algae scrubbers and it got me curious how and why do they work. Are the results significant and how could it be improved? I have very high nitrates because my tap water has nitrates already and it makes it difficult to get below 40 ppm so im hopping this will be the answer I was looking for. Any input is greatly appreciated thanks everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

have you tried chempure in your filter it will remove the nitrates
also look into an anaerobic filter setup that will covert nitrates to nitrogen gas

Algae removes nutrients out of the water column as it grows, just like a plant. So nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, etc. It's pretty much as simple as that.

I don't have personal experience with freshwater scrubbers, but I know several who run them. The algae grows thinner/finer than in saltwater, where you typically see them used. Depending on your system, they can reduce nitrates quite well, but if your tap water is a high source of nitrates then you're just keeping on top of the battle.

There are plenty of things you can do to "improve" your scrubber, building it right in the first place is the best though :)

Back
Top Bottom