DIY aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could I use rope lights (the ones you can buy at like Walmart or Home Depot) as lighting for my aquarium? If so, how could I set them up?

Just saw this. What did you get? I've tried underwater leds but were too cheap and got a nasty flicker to them after a few months.

You need:
-PVC Rain Gutter(cut to length of tank). Cut 1" short
-PVC Rain Gutter End Caps(2)
-Krylon Fusion for plastics(If wanting to paint, cure for 1 week(chip resistant, non-toxic)
-4 or 2 PVC End Caps 3/4"
-4 or 2 sets of nuts and bolts
-Thin wall PVC pipe(schedule 20) to fit 3/4" caps. Cut to fit.
-Optional Reflective Tape to line under side.(Found typically in Plumbing @Hardware store).

Then wrap the light around PVC pipe and secure sectioned lengths with electrical tape. If tank is longer than 36" use a left over piece of gutter and make a small brace you can wedge in between the gutter set up. All this will cost about $30-40 depending on your location. Now this is for DIY people. If you already have a hand saw and drill.

I don't have the money or tools for all that, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll just stick to the light I have or buy one of those clip-on extension ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom