DIY background silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paperboy72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all

i am in the process of making my custom background out of foam and was wondering if anyone has had luck in painting over clear silicone and what you did or used? i have read some things already, maybe sanding the silicone slightly to rough up the surface, using a hair dryer to heat up the silicone...
i had to silicone a seam down the middle and wondered if Drylok will adhere to it or what methods anyone might have used out there.
thanks for your advice and time!

hello all

i am in the process of making my custom background out of foam and was wondering if anyone has had luck in painting over clear silicone and what you did or used? i have read some things already, maybe sanding the silicone slightly to rough up the surface, using a hair dryer to heat up the silicone...
i had to silicone a seam down the middle and wondered if Drylok will adhere to it or what methods anyone might have used out there.
thanks for your advice and time!
I use foam and cement for my diy back drops and those always work great theres a YouTube video by the king of diy all about it

i have watched multiple videos before i started this project, and i was trying to avoid using cement because of the PH change. I a using foam, but had a seam i had to use a decent amount of silicone, and forgot silicone is usually not paintable. so curious of what anyone has done to paint silicone. thanks though...

Back
Top Bottom