DIY CO2 and cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright the past few weeks I have been dealing with cloudy water. I tried carbon, Tried a new purigen, of course water changes and even coagulator drops.
Things seems to work for a bit but then its cloudy again.

The last thing I have noticed is the possibility of my CO2 doing it.

I look closely in the tank and see what look like tiny particles but could also be tiny CO2 bubbles since its running through my filter.

Anyone else experience this using DIY?

Im using the 3 bottles where the last one is a bubble counter and safety overflow so I know its not mixture getting in there.

thanks

I run basically the same system with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the cloudiness white? Did you add anything like DW to this tank? Or is there a light green hue in the cloudiness? If the latter, how high is your light?

Its def not an algae bloom and its not white either. Maybe cloudy was wrong. I should have said hazy. Its just looks thick and not CRYSTAL clear like my water has always been.
My light is under debate lol. I think its a pretty strong light for my tank. I only keep it on for 6 hours and though I do get some algae (the hard green stuff) on my glass and some hair algae on some plants its by no means out of control. I caved and started using excel every other day for this again.

I thought originally it might have been my driftwood releasing tannins again after cleaning it but then after a few 50% WC's its still just as strong, and not really tan or brown. I wish I could describe it better, but even pictures wont pick it up well.

Is it cloudy from the top looking down or just from the sides? If it is the sides try cleaning the glass, i get a greyish 'dust' on all my panes, and it makes the water look cloudy

Is it cloudy from the top looking down or just from the sides? If it is the sides try cleaning the glass, i get a greyish 'dust' on all my panes, and it makes the water look cloudy

yeah I clean the glass with my water changes. I just bought a new brush to use this week.

Sometimes I think its also due to the lighting in the room and the fact the wall behind the tank is brown (no background on my tank).

But again when I look close I see little floaties or bubbles and it just makes me think its due to the CO2. Doesnt sound like to much CO2 tho. Maybe Ill try to do some extra water changes and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom