DIY CO2 in 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have DIY CO2 set up in my 20 gal and wabt to do the same for my 55. My 20 has a .5 gallon reactor to a yeast trap/bubble counter to an airstone under the filter. I was planning a similar setup for the 55 with 2, 1 gallon reactors. I was thinking about spitting the line after the yeast trap to two airstones as well for more coverage. Would this be a good idea? Should I consider a different diffuser? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

DIY co2 does not work well in a 55 i would look into pressurized co2 or if that's not a option just dose glut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dosing glut right now but I can see that will get expensive. The DIY would likely be a temporary solution until I build up the funds to go pressurized.

I just ordered one of these:
Aquarium DIY CO2 Generator System Kit D501 Green&Blue - US$26.99

Its a nice setup that does not use Yeast and Sugar, it actually runs on Citric Acid and Baking Soda. It provides a heck of a lot more Co2 pressure than our yeast setups, and its an instant Co2 production (not 24hrs like yeast "chem vs biological"). Has a needle valve to control output (w/ pressure relief valve), also can fabricate an electric solenoid in between the baking soda and citric line. this would prevent the chem reaction so you can power it off at night (w/o wasting the chem; needlessly blowing off into the night)

That might be able to provide enough for your 55G. It might be worth it if you want to stay on the DIY route.

200g of Baking Soda (2liter)
15lb bag on Amazon 17$ (~30 refills)

200g of Citric Acid (2liter)
5lb Bag on Amazon is $15 (Should get you 10 refills)

PS: Also no stinky smell yeast to play w/ during changes :)

I just ordered one of these:
Aquarium DIY CO2 Generator System Kit D501 Green&Blue - US$26.99

Its a nice setup that does not use Yeast and Sugar, it actually runs on Citric Acid and Baking Soda. It provides a heck of a lot more Co2 pressure than our yeast setups, and its an instant Co2 production (not 24hrs like yeast "chem vs biological"). Has a needle valve to control output (w/ pressure relief valve), also can fabricate an electric solenoid in between the baking soda and citric line. this would prevent the chem reaction so you can power it off at night (w/o wasting the chem; needlessly blowing off into the night)

That might be able to provide enough for your 55G. It might be worth it if you want to stay on the DIY route.

200g of Baking Soda (2liter)
15lb bag on Amazon 17$ (~30 refills)

200g of Citric Acid (2liter)
5lb Bag on Amazon is $15 (Should get you 10 refills)

PS: Also no stinky smell yeast to play w/ during changes :)

Have you tried it out yet? If not, please let me know what you yhink of it after you get it set up.

Back
Top Bottom