diy co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to add a yeast, sugar and baking soda diy co2 system and i am having a bit of an issue. I made the set up 2 days ago and it is producing co2, but i think something is not working properly.... i have the hagen ladder diffuser and i read that it may not diffuse the co2 very well so i took it out and put the tube directly into my filter intake.... the only issue is that the co2 is not a constant amount....for the last 2 days i can see the gas travel through the tube, and then a burst of it flies up the filter and i hear the air noise they make in the impeller....but then water rushes back into the tube and the whole process starts again...and i am under the impression that it should be a constant bubble per second or 2, not just a bunch of bubbles every 20 seconds. i attached a video...and it might be difficult to see but a look at the set up might help you all give me some advice, the sound is very quiet but you can see the gas travel up the tube and then shoot into the filter and then you can see that the level of air in the tube lowers after and the process begins again, any help would be awesome...thanks!

VID00003 - YouTube

Okay what I would do in your case is completely redo your co2 mix. Use 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast and Luke warm water and shake it up really reaaly well to dissolve all the sugar. Next just put it back into the filter intake because it is the most efficient way of dissolving the co2. Give it one full day to go steady and every 3 days shake the bottle to keep it going and this mix will last about 3 weeks steady. Any questions

okay... my only worry is that is what i did the first time... i will do it again the exact same but I'm not sure that will solve my problem. any other takers?

unless there is some kind of pressure leak in your setup... the constant pressure should hold the air at the end of the tube.... could there be a kink somewhere that builds up pressure, then releases and causes a lower pressure instance where the water could travel back up the tube? I also wonder about the baking soda... no where have I seen adding baking soda....

Without watching the video, do you have a check valve somewhere? If so, you shouldn't get any water coming back in to the tube. Also, how low is your diffuser? It might be too low for the pressure in the generator to handle... try raising it a bit. And, having it diffuse in to an HOB filter is a bad idea IMO... it'll offgas a lot that way.

Check to make sure if you have a check valve that it is installed correctly. The flow arrow should be away from your CO2 setup and pointed in the direction of the tank.

mfdrookie516 said:
Without watching the video, do you have a check valve somewhere? If so, you shouldn't get any water coming back in to the tube. Also, how low is your diffuser? It might be too low for the pressure in the generator to handle... try raising it a bit. And, having it diffuse in to an HOB filter is a bad idea IMO... it'll offgas a lot that way.

You think so? That's how I have mine and its been running for well over a month steady. Plants show 1 new leaf almost every day, but results could show different for other ppl

It will definitely release the same gas away that you are trying to put in... water disturbances do this... What drookie is trying to say is that you are not getting as much of a benifit as you could with a different diffusing method, not that its not working... just not working as best it could...

Ozydego said:
It will definitely release the same gas away that you are trying to put in... water disturbances do this... What drookie is trying to say is that you are not getting as much of a benifit as you could with a different diffusing method, not that its not working... just not working as best it could...

Okaay gotcha. So would the cigarette filter work for diffusing

do you think i should use the ladder diffuser vs. the filter? thanks everyone for the help, i really appreciate it.

i am getting about a bubble a second now and have switched to the ladder due to mfdrookie's advice... thanks

however...once i took the tube out of the filter, and then put it in the ladder...the bubbles have stopped... i assume they should begin again shortly so i will keep you all posted, any more advice?

patola_l said:
however...once i took the tube out of the filter, and then put it in the ladder...the bubbles have stopped... i assume they should begin again shortly so i will keep you all posted, any more advice?

Try shaking the bottle.

Shake the bottle, but unscrew the top first, you don't want to splash yeasty gunk up into the air tube... The lines get gunned up fast enough as is

Ozydego said:
Shake the bottle, but unscrew the top first, you don't want to splash yeasty gunk up into the air tube... The lines get gunned up fast enough as is

Dont unscrew the bottle. That will release all the co2. All you do is pinch the line and shake it very well. This will continue the co2 production and wont break your seal

i didn't end up shaking it, but it is producing about a bubble every second or 2 now.... it is not going all the way up the ladder yet, but i know thats because the ladder is so new and i read it takes about a day or so for it to break and the bubbles to climb all the way to the top at a smooth pace. thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom