diy co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, i just made a co2 set-up and i wanted to see if i did it right. I used an old protein powder tub that i washed out really well, and added 4 cups of sugar, and 1 tsp of yeast to. I used a hammer and nail to make a small opening in the lid and then cut the tubing at an angle to help me pull it though the hole so it was a tight seal. I added the sugar and yeast, and then added water till about 3-4 inches from the top, then shook it up really well for about 2 mins. then reattached the lid and tubing, to a co2 ladder diffuser. Does the sound okay? i also have a check valve in-between the ladder and the setup. Any advice?

Is it up and bubbling for you?

After its been up and running awhile, you may want to add a gas seperator.

These are used to keep the resulting gunk produced by the yeast that builds up in the reactor from getting into your tank.

Its basically a second soda bottle (or whatever you can seal, like your protein powder tub - as long as its airtight.) You need two holes, one to run the tubing from the reactor into the seperator, a a second goes from the seperator into the aquarium.

Also, you can get away with using 2 cups of sugar rather than four. More sugar won't make the recipe last any longer.

Good luck on your new venture into CO2. I'd love to see a photo of your setup!

ya i had seen examples of the gas separator... thats something i will on, just wanted to get this working... because the tub is nearly 5 litters, i assumed doubling the recipe might make it last longer.

as far as it bubbling up, no not yet, its been up for an hour now, how soon should i see production?

Soon.

I used to be able to get bubbles within an hour. But it can take up to 12 hours.

If it doesn't bubble by the morning, it probably means it is leaking somewhere.

Most people have to seal the hole where the tubing comes out of the reactor with silicone.

alright, if its not working by the morning, should i restart completely, or just seal it... let it set, and then put the lid back on?

You should probably take the lid off to seal it.

Also, make sure it isn't leaking around the lid. I had to use plumbers tape on the threads when I used pop bottles.

Its a pain you know where to get it started, but once you get the hang of it, its not too bad.

great idea with the plumbers tape... i did a test by un-connecting at the check valve and blowing as hard as i could into the tube going to the system, and i could hear air expelling and after closer inspection, it was coming from the threats, not the point of entry in the lid, so thankfully i had plumbers tape lying around and applied a good amount, and then did the same test again, and no matter how hard i blow it will not leak... i re-set it up and hopefully it will be good to go. No at least i know if something is wrong, it is likely going to be a leak where the tube enters. Thanks for all the help! ill keep you posted

went back to check on it, and i could hear the leak at the threads, so i put on some more plumbers tape... i think i used enough that now it should work haha

checked back, and i am getting a steady stream of co2! its coming out at a very nice rate of about a 2 bubbles every 2 seconds.... occasionally it will go for 30 seconds...then stop and restart again, but it seems to be working well!

Congratulations!

It seems to really be going to town there.

Nice vid, too. Hopefully, you'll get the desired results.

thanks for the help! how long does it take to see results would you say?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve :)

It also depends on how consistent the co2 injection, your lighting parameters, what types of plants you have and your fert regimen.

If it functions perfectly and you maintain it (ie: change out the yeast concoction before it peters out and co2 levels drop) it will take a few weeks before you see more rapid or lusher growth.

Consisentcy is the key to DIY, which is not always easy to achieve.

i added the gas separator today.... the co2 production stopped for now, as i think i released most of the pressure, ill keep you posted if it gets back up and running!

oh, there is one... if you watched the first video in this thread you can see it.

Glad you got the whole thing working.

What kind of plants are you growing? Lighting etc?

Back
Top Bottom