DIY Co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was wondering if I set up a DIY Co2 system, let the plants grow to fill the tank, and then stop the Co2(to prevent over growing) will my plants die?

They probably will not all die but they will suffer and begin to look bad. Some will eventually succomb to death. You will also probably get a massive algae outbreak. I learned that lesson when I let my DIY CO2 run out by accident. Couldn't figure out why the algae was coming back with a vengeance. Once I restarted the DIY cO2, the problem cleared up. You can grow plants without CO2. Just not the high light ones. You can also buy Metricide (glutaraldehyde) and use it daily to supplement. Then stop the CO2.

They probably will not all die but they will suffer and begin to look bad. Some will eventually succomb to death. You will also probably get a massive algae outbreak. I learned that lesson when I let my DIY CO2 run out by accident. Couldn't figure out why the algae was coming back with a vengeance. Once I restarted the DIY cO2, the problem cleared up. You can grow plants without CO2. Just not the high light ones. You can also buy Metricide (glutaraldehyde) and use it daily to supplement. Then stop the CO2.

Thanks for the advice. I might have second thoughts on it now. Just simply because I'm really busy and might not be able to do the changes due to college and extracurricular activities.

Back
Top Bottom