DIY CO2: Replacing Sugar with Powdered Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are going to start spending money I suggest just getting an actual pressurized system, or saving for one, it's much easier to deal with.

re: the glass diffuser, try blowing through it to see if it takes a ton of pressure to go through. I got a chinese one also to replace an atomic diffuser that required too much pressure to run, but mine doesn't require much pressure at all bubble.

Pressurized systems are expensive... That filter I have linked above is only $13. A fairly large bag of sugar is $5 and yeast is dirt cheap as well. Most pressurized systems are around $200 unless you get the Fluval 20g one that requires constant resupplying of the CO2 tanks.

You could consider getting a new diffusor - smaller is often better for lower pressure applications, or you could get an in tank reactor...

UP Aqua Atomizer Small | Green Leaf Aquariums
Atomic CO2 Diffuser 45mm | Green Leaf Aquariums
CO2 Diffuser Nano 1000 | Green Leaf Aquariums

I would think any of these should work. The atomizers tend to work a little better than the ceramic/glass for low pressure applications.

The good news on these are when you upgrade to a pressurized system, it will work for you still.

How do I know how much pressure I have? It says it requires about 30 psi to push it through the atomizer. And I thought atomizers were mainly used for pressurized systems? I don't want to spend money on another thing that doesn't work with my DIY setup, so I want to be sure.

Did you see what I posted earlier about the Hagen Mini Elite filter? I have seen a lot of people using those with DIY setups, but I don't know about that either. Basically, it sucks in water like a normal filter, but the CO2 tube is hooked up and it shoots CO2 out with the output.

My point was if you are going to start spending money on it you might as well start saving for a pressurized system. You can get the aquatek or milwaukee reg with all the bells and whistles for 70-80 bucks or so. Then just look around for a deal on a tank, or save up and get one from a local place for a little under $100. It's expensive up front but if you plan to stay in the planted end of the hobby it's well worth it and pays for itself.

I found my complete system in FWB for $100 from someone on CL.

I've never tried to push DIY co2 through any kind of diffuser, mine just never built up enough pressure to do it. I ended up piping it into the intake on my canister filter.

I would think that one of those bell type diffusers would work pretty good also since they arent pushing through any kind of screen.

Thanks! Even still, $100 is more money than I was wanting to spend. I just spent $300 on my 10 gallon shrimp tank with the stand, gravel, filter, heater, shrimp, plants, and everything already.

What about putting the air stone inside one of my Fluval pre-filter sponges? That might break the bubbles down even smaller. Because I think I read somewhere that the CO2 bubbles should not get to the surface.

I have Amazon Prime and get two-day shipping so it'll be here Wednesday. I'll post back to this thread then after I get it set up.

Looks great! Your plants will love it. Misting is a very effective method off injecting co2

Seeing results immediately... Plants that were 5 inches yesterday are now touching the top of the water and need trimmed! I'm happy with my purchase. The whole CO2 system including my little filter diffuser probably cost me around $20. Can't go wrong! I'll be setting up a similar system on my 36 gallon soon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom