DIY CO2 Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am gonna try to take the advice of some people on here and go for a CO2 system. I looked and found that the CO2 Systems online with the CO2 tanks and all the bells and whistles will get kinda expensive, and I don't have that much to spend on this. I found that there are DIY CO2 setups, and are quite inexpensive. All I have right now for this purpose is DAP Aquarium Safe Silicone, an empty 2-liter bottle, and a common-sized Gatorade bottle. Nothing drilled. I need some nice people on here with experience on this sort of thing to patiently walk me through on this journey. (P.S. I have standard airline tubing, but I hear everywhere that this is bad for CO2 use.)

1. What do I need?

2. How to set it all up?

3. What plants need CO2 but are only medium light plants?

P.S.S. This thread is not dedicated for debate on DIY CO2 setups and the modern CO2 setups. I respectfully request that you not discuss the pros and cons of each, I am just talking about DIY CO2 setups. If you wish to debate this, I will quickly respond to a private message and you can talk to me about it there. Thank you for your understanding!

This is the basic method. There are others that involve bubble counters and all that jazz, but this simple way has worked for me.

You're gonna need:
Bottle
Drill(to make a hole in the cap)
Silicone
Co2 safe tubing
Diffuser
check valve
Sugar, yeast, baking soda

Instructions:
1) Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle.

2) Insert the tube into the bottle. Stick about two Inches of the tube inside the bottle

3) Silicone all around the tube to get a tight seal.

4) Attach check valve

5)Attach diffusion method to other end of the tube and stick it in the tank

6) Fill the bottle with your mixture- can be found online. I used about 2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon baking soda and 3/4 tablespoon dry yeast. Fill with warm water.

7) Then wait for co2 bubbles to come out! Could be a couple minutes to overnight.

All plants will benefit from co2. High light, or low light.

Have fun!

This is the basic method. There are others that involve bubble counters and all that jazz, but this simple way has worked for me.

You're gonna need:
Bottle
Drill(to make a hole in the cap)
Silicone
Co2 safe tubing
Diffuser
check valve
Sugar, yeast, baking soda

Instructions:
1) Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle.

2) Insert the tube into the bottle. Stick about two Inches of the tube inside the bottle

3) Silicone all around the tube to get a tight seal.

4) Attach check valve

5)Attach diffusion method to other end of the tube and stick it in the tank

6) Fill the bottle with your mixture- can be found online. I used about 2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon baking soda and 3/4 tablespoon dry yeast. Fill with warm water.

7) Then wait for co2 bubbles to come out! Could be a couple minutes to overnight.

All plants will benefit from co2. High light, or low light.

Have fun!
Thanks. Is there brands of diffusers I should avoid, or does it really matter?

I also recommend having a second bottle between your mash and tank. For this bottle, you drill two holes in the top and put in two airline tubes (or better yet CO2 tubing) and fill it about half way up. The tube coming from the yeast mash goes in the bottom of the bottle (underwater) so that you can see the CO2 coming out. The other one is about .5-1" below the cap (well above the water). This acts as a bubble counter and prevents your CO2 mixture from barfing mash into your tank, which can lead to fairly major issues.

phoenixkiller said:
Thanks. Is there brands of diffusers I should avoid, or does it really matter?

I just used a cheap little fluval ceramic diffuser. Works great.

do you put the air line in to the mash? or what how far do you fill the mash bottle up to with water?

i also just did my first one now mate, so i'll update you on how mine goes and let you know further details if it all goes well.

i've got:

1 litre bottle filled with sugar-water (1 large cup)
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

i used a separate second bottle too. the tubing from the yeast is under the water in the second bottle, and the other one going into my tank isn't. didn't use silicone though

in my tank it's plugged into the outlet of my internal filter. i have a small diffuser too i'm thinking of using.

it's a small mixture so i'm not expecting it to produce until tomorrow some time.

Thanks for posting this thread, Mox. My DIY CO2 is a one 2L bottle job and my brew recipe was much weaker than the one given here. It's working- I can see a green difference in the plants already and I've only had it going for a couple of days- but I like the two bottle version described here better. Thanks again ;)

i also just did my first one now mate, so i'll update you on how mine goes and let you know further details if it all goes well.

i've got:

1 litre bottle filled with sugar-water (1 large cup)
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

i used a separate second bottle too. the tubing from the yeast is under the water in the second bottle, and the other one going into my tank isn't. didn't use silicone though

in my tank it's plugged into the outlet of my internal filter. i have a small diffuser too i'm thinking of using.

it's a small mixture so i'm not expecting it to produce until tomorrow some time.
How often will you change out the mixture? Every 3 weeks? And is one rounded cup of sugar enough?

But i got some questions hopefully all can be be answered I'm gonna go with the 1 liter size will this work for a 10 and 30 gallon?
Aqua Chem could you send me a good pic of how the second bottle connects to he first bottle and gets connected to the diffuser
Could I use hot tap water for the water?
Will this diffuser and check valve work?
Thanks!!!

Good example?
Sorry for posting all this I'm really trying to get this co2 system to work well for my tank

Attachments

• image-3531048351.jpg
    image-3531048351.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 65
How often will you change out the mixture? Every 3 weeks? And is one rounded cup of sugar enough?

So far the mixture has yet to produce. I see a few problems.

1. Potentially simply not enough yeast - I can see a small c02 bubble in the tubing but it stays stuck
2. This could also then mean a leakage somewhere which is more likely
3. Ill know in future to not use a milk bottle lid as they are quite flimsy compared to most harder bottle tops

Going to wait until this afternoon, a full 24 hours until I remake it. I'll also remake it with more yeast and more sugar this time.

I'm sure my way could be done but realistically I'd like it to last longer. I basically halved the recipe that's all over the internet.

I'll update you with how it goes or if anything in this current mix and set up changes.

In answer to your question, yes, I hope to change it approximately every 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom