Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Specialized plant substrates like eco complete, fleurite, ADA aquasoil, AP, turface, etc etc... they are rich in nutrients and very fine grain, closer to soil than aquarium gravel.

I think you would have trouble growing something like dwarf hairgrass in your tank until you upped the light a bit more (running 5 or 6 of the bulbs) and added a CO2 system. It may grow in your substrate, but it wouldn't spread and go crazy like it would in aquatic soil type substrates.

You can definitely give it a try though. It is not expensive, especially if you have a local source. In my experience, it did not grow well without CO2, good nutrient rich substrate, and lots and lots of light.

Is it called flourish root tabs or flourish excel? Thanks.

These are 2 different things...

Flourish Excel (made by seachem) is an organic Carbon source. It is a liquid form of carbon that you can add instead of CO2 or in addition to CO2 in a planted tank. Some FW plants are sensitive to it and it will cause them to "melt". Others thrive with its addition.

Flourish root tabs (also made by seachem) are solid tabs that you bury in the substrate. They contain K, Fe, and many additional trace elements.

There are many different items in the flourish product line...

Flourish Excel (carbon)
Flourish Comprehensive (Trace elements)
Flourish N (nitrogen)
Flourish P (po4)
Flourish K (Potassium)
Flourish Fe (iron)
Flourish root tabs

And probably more... but these are the ones I have used in the past.

fort384 said:
Specialized plant substrates like eco complete, fleurite, ADA aquasoil, AP, turface, etc etc... they are rich in nutrients and very fine grain, closer to soil than aquarium gravel.

I think you would have trouble growing something like dwarf hairgrass in your tank until you upped the light a bit more (running 5 or 6 of the bulbs) and added a CO2 system. It may grow in your substrate, but it wouldn't spread and go crazy like it would in aquatic soil type substrates.

You can definitely give it a try though. It is not expensive, especially if you have a local source. In my experience, it did not grow well without CO2, good nutrient rich substrate, and lots and lots of light.

I see. I'll pass on planting hairgrass for now.

JW, how do you clean the substrate if it's covered with plants(e.g hairgrass)? Is the trapped fish waste going to affect the water quality?

Water quality will be better... the plants help process the waste when they uptake it for fertilizer.

However, partial water changes are still required. You can just use a gravel vacuum and wave it around/in/through the plants and the bare substrate. Once plants get rooted in the substrate, they don't get pulled up with a gravel vac.

fort384 said:
These are 2 different things...

Flourish Excel (made by seachem) is an organic Carbon source. It is a liquid form of carbon that you can add instead of CO2 or in addition to CO2 in a planted tank. Some FW plants are sensitive to it and it will cause them to "melt". Others thrive with its addition.

Flourish root tabs (also made by seachem) are solid tabs that you bury in the substrate. They contain K, Fe, and many additional trace elements.

There are many different items in the flourish product line...

Flourish Excel (carbon)
Flourish Comprehensive (Trace elements)
Flourish N (nitrogen)
Flourish P (po4)
Flourish K (Potassium)
Flourish Fe (iron)
Flourish root tabs

And probably more... but these are the ones I have used in the past.

Ok. That's good to know. I crossed out anubias on my list because I thought I was going to buy the excel and read that it's bad for it. Guess it's back on my list of plants to buy.

FWIW, I never had an issue with anubias and excel... in fact I have overdosed excel in tanks with BBA and anubias (excel is a great algaecide in concentrated doses) with great results.

fort384 said:
Water quality will be better... the plants help process the waste when they uptake it for fertilizer.

However, partial water changes are still required. You can just use a gravel vacuum and wave it around/in/through the plants and the bare substrate. Once plants get rooted in the substrate, they don't get pulled up with a gravel vac.

That's great to know. I always worry about the trapped wastes. It's a win win situation. Less substrate to clean and fertilizer for the plants. Thanks.

fort384 said:
FWIW, I never had an issue with anubias and excel... in fact I have overdosed excel in tanks with BBA and anubias (excel is a great algaecide in concentrated doses) with great results.

BBA? Should I get both flourise excel and tab? Algaecide: kills/prevents algae? How about my plecos?

BBA = black beard algae - probably the most dreaded algae in a planted tank. Excel dosed through a syringe directly on the algae kills it.

You can get some excel if you want and give it try. My personal opinion on it is that is a really really good product. Dosing it in a 125 gal tank though could get awfully expensive. Also make sure you research compatibility with your plants first. Would hate to have all your brand new plants melt on you.

Plecos will eat some of the algae in your tank, but you will still have algae... all tanks do, and especially planted tanks (what is good for plants is also good for algae). There are other specialized animals that help control algae in a planted tank... amano shrimp are great, as are Siamese algae eaters. But, with the bigger fish you are putting in your tank, I doubt if either would work well (they would end up being food, especially the shrimp).

fort384 said:
BBA = black beard algae - probably the most dreaded algae in a planted tank. Excel dosed through a syringe directly on the algae kills it.

You can get some excel if you want and give it try. My personal opinion on it is that is a really really good product. Dosing it in a 125 gal tank though could get awfully expensive. Also make sure you research compatibility with your plants first. Would hate to have all your brand new plants melt on you.

Plecos will eat some of the algae in your tank, but you will still have algae... all tanks do, and especially planted tanks (what is good for plants is also good for algae). There are other specialized animals that help control algae in a planted tank... amano shrimp are great, as are Siamese algae eaters. But, with the bigger fish you are putting in your tank, I doubt if either would work well (they would end up being food, especially the shrimp).

Does my tank still count as a 125 with all the substrate and stuff? I probably only have 100g in it. Syringe it to the algae? Is excel in liquid form? Is it ok to use both excel and tab at the same time?

still a 125...

Yes, it can used in a syringe to spot treat algae. It is liquid.

Absolutely ok to use both... 1 is a source of Carbon, the other is a source of potassium and trace elements. They do different things.

fort384 said:
still a 125...

Yes, it can used in a syringe to spot treat algae. It is liquid.

Absolutely ok to use both... 1 is a source of Carbon, the other is a source of potassium and trace elements. They do different things.

I know it is still a 125. The reason I asked is for dosage. What if I only have 100g water because of the substrate and stuff and I put something for 125g? Thats going to be bad, right?

I would still dose for 125 gal, especially for flourish excel or tetra florapride. It would be hard to overdose either of these products, especially in a tank that big.

fort384 said:
I would still dose for 125 gal, especially for flourish excel or tetra florapride. It would be hard to overdose either of these products, especially in a tank that big.

Now it is clear to me. You're a big help. Thank you.

Any time Roy!! You are getting a good crash course in planted tanks... much better (and less costly) to get the info up front than go in without the knowledge! When I started, I did it all backwards... :)

fort384 said:
Any time Roy!! You are getting a good crash course in planted tanks... much better (and less costly) to get the info up front than go in without the knowledge! When I started, I did it all backwards... :)

Lucky me! For sure my plants will grow healthy. I'll keep you updated with pics. Every other week maybe? Thanks again!

I'm doing all of this on my phone so I'm falling behind the questions..

What kind of fish are in your plans?

Substrate - I do not vacuum my substrate. I have malaysian trumpet snails that help keep it clean.. Not sure I'd do them again though. I do like my nerite snails though.. They really keep my driftwood clean of algae. Perhaps help keep my substrate clean too.. Also have cory's that help get leftover food off the bottom..

cjldad said:
I'm doing all of this on my phone so I'm falling behind the questions..

What kind of fish are in your plans?

Substrate - I do not vacuum my substrate. I have malaysian trumpet snails that help keep it clean.. Not sure I'd do them again though. I do like my nerite snails though.. They really keep my driftwood clean of algae. Perhaps help keep my substrate clean too.. Also have cory's that help get leftover food off the bottom..

I'm planning on getting a jardini arowana and blood parrots. I am also keeping my 2 albino bristlenose (in addition to feeders) that I use for cycling.

Planning on any driftwood? I have some that is seasoned that I'd like to get rid of if interested.. :)

cjldad said:
Planning on any driftwood? I have some that is seasoned that I'd like to get rid of if interested.. :)

I bought a couple. What do you mean by seasoned? How much?pics?

Back
Top Bottom