Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just meant the system itself, the set up and all.

So does it lower ph just while its being pumped into the tank or over time will the ph start to drop permanently toward the acidic side?

Thanks for the help btw, i cant seem to ever find a clear article about all this

Understood. I would say to work on getting more bubbles.

The pH will reflect the amount of dissolved CO2, so, as your plants use it, the pH will go up. Continuously adding pH at about the same rate as your plants consume it will allow your pH to stabilize.

I'm working on keeping a target pH as well as a target ppm dissolved CO2. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'm trying!

And, really and truly, people have been amazingly helpful in my thread. I would be nowhere near where I am in terms of understanding if it weren't for the knowledgeable people here.

Finally, water hardness outright baffled me at first. I read over and over and over again how degrees related to parts per million and it just didn't make sense to me how the number of drops of each test could be the number of degrees but different parts per million. I would sit there, staring at that chart, thinking, "I am an educated person. How am I not able to understand these numbers that can hold still in this chart?"

I have two tanks running right now. One is 29 gallons with blue rams, Harlequin rasboras, a dwarf gourami (who is the least compatible with the water conditions, but he's not going anywhere ?), rabbit snails, trapdoor snails, and male guppies. I had been doing nothing to increase hardness, and that's where the CO2 is going. Lots of plants. Our 10 gallon has pregnant female guppies, and nerite and mystery snails. Only a few plants. I kept a hermit crab calcium cake in the tank as well as adding Epsom salt with water changes. Now I have cuttlebones in each tank, but I foresee those dissolving more slowly than the hermit crab cakes.

The 10 gallon consistently has a kH of 9 - 12 and gH between 18 and 20. The pH is usually higher, too- 7.6 to 7.8. Using the equation I posted just a bit ago, dissolved CO2 would tend to hang out around 8ppm. In the 29 gallon, the water is very soft. kH around 4 and gH a bit below 10. The pH had been only slightly lower than the 10 gallon, which, according to that equation, meant that my dissolved CO2 hung out around 2ppm.

The CHART (and its underlying equation) has shortcomings in the aquarium environment where carbonates can be things other than CO2, like CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). The 10 gallon most definitely does not have more dissolved CO2 because I specifically add other carbonates.

Point being that 1. increasing your kH won't necessarily increase dissolved CO2, and 2. you have to consider other carbonates in your tank when deciding how closely the chart will reflect your tank's actual chemical environment. If you add calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or potassium carbonate to increase your kH, you are not increasing dissolved CO2.

Some people artificially lower pH to increase the water's ability to absorb CO2, but using methods other than things like driftwood and peat can make the whole situation very difficult to balance.

Bubbles. Lots of bubbles!

Just curious, what filters are you using in this tank? Is there much splash / surface agitation? I equate that with the potential for CO2 loss. I was running a yeast based CO2 generator that would produce about 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds. No diffuser; bubbles entered the HOB filter intake. I minimized splash by raising the tank's water level and adding a DIY "lip extension" to the filter's output. Plants grew under a Finnex FugeRay. I did not attempt carpet plants such as DBT, but the staur repens and AR mini did well.

Just curious, what filters are you using in this tank? Is there much splash / surface agitation? I equate that with the potential for CO2 loss. I was running a yeast based CO2 generator that would produce about 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds. No diffuser; bubbles entered the HOB filter intake. I minimized splash by raising the tank's water level and adding a DIY "lip extension" to the filter's output. Plants grew under a Finnex FugeRay. I did not attempt carpet plants such as DBT, but the staur repens and AR mini did well.
Im running 2 Aqueon 10 right now with a bag of boimedia (the white porous cylinders)

Im running 2 Aqueon 10 right now with a bag of boimedia (the white porous cylinders)

Is there a lot of splash at the surface with these filters?
When I ran DIY CO2 my drop checker was either blue or bluish green. It never really got emerald green.

Not a lot, i float a ping pong ball under the flow and it keeps the splash way down... until Ozzy (the betta) likes to play with em

@nirbhao haha im doing the same thing....just starting and trying to figure out how "the chart" and this one in the kh/gh test kit are in anyway compatible.
Like "how could $50k in student debt not prepare me for this" ?

Yup, like perfect green, not dark or light

I just went through this as well. Don't over think it. Measure your kh. That is a constant. After your co2 has been running for however long you let it run measure your ph. Where the kh and ph intersect is how much co2 you have. You do want to limit surface agitation while co2 is running in order to reduce the amount that gasses off.

With citric acid you can push the ppm as high as you want. Be careful once you go over 35 ppm or so. I hope this helps

Ok so this is what i did today

I revamped the 10gal QT to only plants!!!
Stuck all my high light veriety in there with a fat dose of liquid ferts and 3 bps Co2 (cuz 1 bps had me at alsmost nothin in the 20 tall community tank)

Substrate is Aquasolum Black Humate and Black Sand Flourite (cuz that Aquasolem is really light and airy)

Started my cycle as well, by ghost feeding.

If anyone can tell me what the plant on the far left is that would be great haha.

Attachments

• 1480124088343.jpg
    1480124088343.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 43
Now i can experiment with kh and PH etc. in an evironment made for lower than 7.6ph (which is what my 20tall is...which is now a medium light tank)

The 20 tall got everything moved over to one side so i can get that Sand Waterfall in there as soon as its done :)

Attachments

• 1480124426670.jpg
    1480124426670.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom