DIY Crabitat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is my first post in about 5 months. I miss you guys!!! My 55 gal community tank is flourishing right now. Water parameters are stable and fish are doing great. 2 generations of swordtails are growing up right now. My new project is to take my 10gal QT and turn it into a Crabitat for rcc's. i plan on using sand for substrate and create some kind of waterfall. as far as vegetation, i have no idea. i have never used live vegetation. Any ideas on anything? :popcorn:

I have 2 crabs currently in a 20g tall, but I just picked up a 10g for free so I'll probably be swapping them to that so I can convert the 20 back to a community tank. They won't be losing much floor space and it will give me a chance to make a better environment now that I've learned more about their care.
My crabs prefer sand over the coconut fiber I first used. They love digging in it. They'll even take water into their shell and release it over the sand to make it easier to dig.
I've never thought about using plants in my crabitat partly because some plants can be toxic, but mostly because they are so destructive. :lol:

Edit: Ah, I just realized that you were talking about RCC, not PCC hermits. Oops...

RCCs need brackish water, and I'm not too sure of commonly available plants that thrive in brackish. Mangroves are a good choice, since RCCs are found in mangrove swamps in the wild. You'd have to let them grow out of the top though, since there won't be much room in a 10gal. I think java fern can live in low salinity as well. Sand is a good choice, ad they love driftwood and things to climb on/hide inside.

--Adeeb

Ya i just wanted a more natural look but i know most plants wont do well with the brackish. o well. they will get plenty of caves and driftwood then.

Ya i just wanted a more natural look but i know most plants wont do well with the brackish. o well. they will get plenty of caves and driftwood then.
You could also build a land side with coco fiber or a similar substrate, and have terrestrial plants. If you keep the land part separate and don't get salt in there, that would increase your options.

--Adeeb

In my experience, not for long. Their care requirements are slightly different, and the RCCs will eventually get large and aggressive, and start fighting with the fiddlers. It usually doesn't end well for fiddlers. You won't have room for more than 2-3 crabs in a 10g anyway.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom