DIY driftwood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milooo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been into this project that I started for about a week. At first I just wanted to make some driftwood but then I started researching it all and learned about bog wood and found several ways of making driftwood suitable for an aquarium. Still I'm not quite sure I'm doing everything the right way and currently have three different batches (aside from the wood I just left in a swamp) that I'm trying different methods on. If anyone knows anything on driftwood or especially bog wood (because there is little info on how to make it yourself) it would be appriciated.

I have a feeling that making your own Bogwood will not work. Isn't Bogwood, by definition, wood that has sat in a bog for 1,000 years or so?

Yeah, real bog wood is, but I've found that wood will get a bog wood like shell around it. Mainly I'm just going for the color, but I'm taking wood that I find in swamps and then I'm removing any bad rot and putting them in a trashcan full of dead leaves and water to make an anaerobic climate that might accelerate the making of it, if not at least dye the wood with all the tannis. It's an experiment like i said.

Back
Top Bottom