DIY Driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Lynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having trouble finding long and thin pieces of drift wood for my tank. Lfs only sells the bigger chunks.

Then I thought about all the broken branches that fall from the trees in my back yard.

If I sanitize them with bleach water like I do My aquatic plants and then soak them in dechlorinated water untill they sink, Would they be safe for my fish?

Lady_Lynn said:
I've been having trouble finding long and thin pieces of drift wood for my tank. Lfs only sells the bigger chunks.

Then I thought about all the broken branches that fall from the trees in my back yard.

If I sanitize them with bleach water like I do My aquatic plants and then soak them in dechlorinated water untill they sink, Would they be safe for my fish?

Unless they're legitimate driftwood, no. They'll rot and foul up your tank.

it has to be driftwood as in you find it in the water. you cant just get it off a tree. (this is what i read on a site)

I think it pretty legit if you go to a beach and search, thats what ive done, i live on lake michigan. Of course soak and sanitize. Also its a cool story to tell your friends

Back
Top Bottom