DIY Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BustedFrontBumper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy, ladies and fellas.
I went out in the woods with a friend and found a downed hardwood (I think it's a beech) that had pulled up some of its roots. He said it had been down for a few years. So I snipped/sawed off some of the best looking roots and one that was already a little rotted/soft. They have been in a bleach & water solution (1 cup to 1 gallon, respectively) for a few days and I intend to leave them for another few before I rinse them and leave them to soak/sink in straight tap water with maybe another rinse in there too.
Do you think I'm going to unleash some bacteria or toxin into my tank anyway? I heard some woods were bad no matter what.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Welcome to AA!
Ill ask to have your thread moved to freshwater so your questions will get answered. Good luck

You know Andy buddy, there is a link you could have provided ;)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

Do you think I'm going to unleash some bacteria or toxin into my tank anyway? I heard some woods were bad no matter what.

The wood should be alright, just make sure that you rinse it in really hot water after it's all said and done to rinse off any traces of the bleach.
Oh and Welcome to AA!

Oh and Welcome to AA!

Hah! Excellent. Thanks for your article!

So here are my roots. It does look like the water is browning up a little so when I do my rinses I'll be sure to use hot water, and to rinse them a few extra times if I'm really getting a lot of leaching that way.

ForumRunner_20130326_132823.jpg

Glad to be a part of a good community :) Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Back
Top Bottom