DIY Ice Igloo part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted this on another site as well. It is a simple kitchen table project and cost under $15.

glass beads $3 (at Big Lots or a Dollar Store)
aquarium sealant $8
olive oil
cereal bowel
cap from a jar of spices.

Start out by covering the cereal bowel in olive oil, this is to help prevent sticking to the bowel. There are other variations, plastic wrap, wax paper and such. Most people have one of the items in their kitchen. I chose olive oil cause it is natural and figure a bath in hot water after curing would take away any residue oil.

Start out by dabbing the sealant on one side of a glass bead, leave a spot for the door (spice jar lid, also oiled up).

Once you have the first row squeeze out a bead all the way around teh top of the glass beads.

01.jpg

continue on

02.jpg

rather rinse repeat

03.jpg

I goofed up and did not put the spice jar lid in....

04.jpg

part 2

It was a bit too narrow and toothpicks wouldn't support the weight.

05.jpg

learn from my own mistakes.... I was stuck here till I looked and found a lide from an empty chili powder jar....

06.jpg

the lid worked!

07.jpg

dab the glue to the "top" of the beads and make an arc like that.

08.jpg

continue squeezing a bead of sealant on the row you just did.

09.jpg

11.jpg

I left a hole at the top for no other reason that another small way in and out... and to get water flow through it.

12.jpg

13.jpg

let it cure... For this sealant it said 24 hours before it was safe to add water.

Carefully remove it from the bowel. It will have a little flexibility to it.

I filled up my sink with hot water and let it soak for about 15 mins to try to get any olive oil off.

in my fire & ice themed 30g tank

And here is what it looks like in my 30g tank....

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

Have fun and enjoy!

I just wanted something to look good in the fire & ice tank. I had no idea if it would work when I started.

Popping a LED light in it would be the bomb :)

I live in an apartment and don't have a lot of tools so I was thinking of a simple kitchen table project. A lot of the projects I saw on Aquarium Central and other places were mostly geared towards more advanced fin folk. I am just a beginner so thought that I would take pics and start making a few simple projects that anyone could do.

I got a 20g tank and stand from a friend of mine. I am taking pics through the project of painting and re-sealing the tank, and the set up so I can make a tutorial about it :).

A used tank is a lot more work than I bargained for!

Oh yeah the smell is really nice. Luckily it is a sunny day and I am doing it outside.

Hopefully it won't rain in the next 2 days. 24 hours to set up and 48 hours before adding water. I will leave it outside and add some water to check for leaks and then drain to bring back into my apartment.

I'm enjoying taking pics through the project. Knowing my Irish Luck I am doing everything wrong but figure that the tank will get two soaks before I start the whole cycle/bio build up.

Lol. I did mine inside during the winter with absolutely no air movement. House had that pleasant vinegar smell for about a week after. Lemon scented would be nice.......

Lol. I did mine inside during the winter with absolutely no air movement. House had that pleasant vinegar smell for about a week after. Lemon scented would be nice.......

would be big time nice.... how about a brownie or cookie smell :)

last week was having a cig break next to the outside ashtray at work, the filters were burning, swear I smelt like it all night afterwards.

ack the one used tank I got still leaks! Will have to take it outside again this weekend!

I have an idea for a castle (either for the tank that will go in my bedroom or the one going to my daughter), all I have to do is hunt around the dollar store or Big Lots to get some inspiration.

To be a wise-en-heimer I was at one time thinking of getting fish sticks and cutting the boxes to fit as a background for one of my tanks.... yes I have a sick sense of humor! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom