DIY pellets from favorite flakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been finding a lot of really good flakes food out there but I have not seen a really good variety food in pellet form. I also have not been able to find earthworm pellets when they are actually recommended for bottom feeders.

On that note, how would you go about making sinking pellets out of your favorite flakes?

I plant to take the flakes and wet them slightly to form a pellet then put them in my food dehydrator to dry them out. I would think that a hard straw would work for forming the pellets if it cut in half or anything about the diameter of the standard shrimp pellet.

Just one question. How many think this will actually work and maintain the nutrition of the flakes?

One more thing, how many of you would be interested if I can get Brine Shrimp Direct to agree to make pellets out of their flake foods?

Well I have figured it out. The easiest way to make pellets out of your flakes and other stuff, simply buy a small pasta maker! Make fairly small batches and then dry them in the oven or a food dehydrator. Can leave them in the long strings or cut them into bite sized pellets.

What could be easier? Maybe buying them but this way you can make a mix that is sure to keep you fish happy. Could even add some brine shrimp, whiteworms, fruit flies, or any other live or dried food to give even more variety.

I would have thought that a least minimal compression would be needed to keep it together. Very interesting. I'll have to give it a shot. My goldies seem to like sinking food (namely algae wafers) more than their floating flakes. Perhaps I can trick 'em. :wink:

Just make sure all the ingredients you are adding are thouroghly pulzerized! The shrimp pellets must be ground to a powder, the algae wafers the same. The flakes don't matter because you have to add water and they will mush in the mixer of the pasta maker. Also remember to make the final paste just wet enough to make it stick together but not wet enough to stick to your fingers. Like a really good bread dough.

Back
Top Bottom